Insurances.net
insurances.net » Home Business » How to Instantly Set Yourself Above Your Competition by:Matt Wwenger
Home Business Small Business Wholesale Business Business agency Global Economy
]

How to Instantly Set Yourself Above Your Competition by:Matt Wwenger

How to Instantly Set Yourself Above "Just Another."

Have you ever called someone cold or even a referral and felt as if the chances of getting through to the other person were about as fat as the National Debt?

I know I certainly have.

Let's break this down and examine the scenario a traditional salesperson finds himself or herself in.

First, you have a target prospect or client. At least, let's assume you do. And you want to make a presentation or a pitch to that person.

Now, there are either 1 of 2 scenarios that you have. First, you have no name to use, no referral, no "white knight," no reference, nothing.

You can't name drop, and the person doesn't know you from a hole in the wall. So, off go your little fingers dialing away and you either:

1) get no answer

2) get stopped by the gatekeeper

3) leave a voicemail.

And you hope and pray someone will call you back yet they don't.

A slightly different variation of this is the name dropping that takes place when you do this. You mention so and so referred you and this definitely helps your chances of getting in a bit more than just calling completely cold.

But is there another strategy that can assist you?

Well, before we know what strategy we should incorporate we need to first figure out WHY you are not getting called back.

Now when we analyze this there are several immediate reasons why people dont" call you back.

1) Little to no credibility. They don't know you. Even if you "name drop" one person is a small point of leverage.

2) Potentially no perceived need. In other words they don't think they need you.

3) Bombarded with information, data, and other noise throughout life so even if you do have credibility, and they need you there is no chance that he or she will even notice you there.

If you doubt this just remember that the average person, depending on which statistics you buy into receive between 3,000 and 30,000 "messages" a day. If you doubt this realize that around you are radios, televisions, cds, fans, traffic, and other noise that you are probably hearing and then more than likely you are seeing something like a 'Dell' or a 'Gateway' monitor and maybe a Starbucks emblem on a coffee or a McDonalds logo on a bag or a Coke logo on a can.

Get the point? Quite frankly we are overwhelmed and overstimulated-continuously and bombarded with information.

So number 3 is a huge challenge. Just the noise alone.

So how do we overcome all of the following?

First and foremost we must get noticed. This is half the battle. Why?

Because if we can't even get someone to pay attention to our message then we can't get them to even examine our credibility, and make a decision if they need us. In other words someone not paying attention is the same as you not even presenting.

Here's an example we've all experienced before.

Ding Dong. And we go scurrying off to open the door.

And out there is a person who is selling something.

Vacuums, cookies, lawn care, you name it. And generally they have about 3 seconds to capture your attention, otherwise it is "over."

The question that must be asked is, "What can that person say in 3 seconds to truly get our attention to "Buy" another 15 seconds"

Or, here's another example.

You're sitting at home eating a nice meal when "Ring-Ring-Ring" and the exact same situation happens except instead of someone at the doorbell, it is on the phone.

Once again depending on the situation the person has about 3 seconds until we either hang up, or say we're not interested.

What happens here are "patterns" or "programs" that we run in our brain to deal with these situations. Another situation that happens occasionally (okay, all the time) is when someone is at a networking meeting and rambling on about his or her product or service.

Wah, wah, wah, wah, (Charlie Brown adults talking).

The eyes of the person who is listening glaze over, except he or she can't simply close the door or hang up due to the different dynamics. That would be "rude" in that situation. So instead they just tune out and start going over what they are going to have for dinner or whatever.

Although these are different situations, the same rules apply.

So, step #1 is a Pattern Interrupt or Program Interrupt!

Now how do we do a pattern interrupt?! Well, there are several waysthe quickest is saying something witty or funny on the phone, but a more consistent and systematizable (is that a word?) is to develop some media ahead of time that you can send before the phone call.

Why before? Because you can, if done correctly, change the perception of the person you are calling ahead of time.

Now I know what you're thinking and saying ahead of time. Matt, this is "expensive." And it may be. That is why you must know the economics and know what you can afford to spend. But isn't it just as expensive to not have the person talk to you ahead of time? Isn't it just as expensive to bang your head against the wall in frustration?

So what can you send ahead of time? Well, the possibilities are limitless, but to begin with I'd send a packet of testimonials from happy clients talking about how your product or service changed their lives. That is one element of proof.

Just doing that (and you should do more) will separate you from 99% of other people who call.

But remember this. The mail can ultimately be a sales person that can deliver whatever you want it to deliver. I've sent crazy things before to get attention, but of course the economics have to dictate this.

On to step #2

Your prospect or potential customer doesn't think they need your product or service.and how dare they?!

After all, you give good service, are honest, and take care of your customersright?

Well, I would HOPE so!

But how can you get a person to want you? Well, it always varies a little bit but instead of telling them how great you are, you need to utilize industry and market data.

What is industry and market data? Industry and market data are facts about their industry that make your target get cold chills and pass out.

What do I mean? Pain, Pain, Pain, and Fear, Fear, Fear.

Now don't misunderstand me here. I'm not saying you should manipulate your prospects. I am saying you need to honestly educate them on what is happening in their industry.

And yes, there is a trick to do this.

But let me explain.

If your target prospect has a declining industry then he or she needs to be aware of the industry shrinking.

If it is growing, then there is more competition. Both are things that need to be examined. So you relate your product, service, or YOU to solving these problems.

Here's and example.

Say you sell a computer system that helps do inventory tracking for plumbing companies because those companies lose XYZ in inventory every month. Well, if the industry has 4% more competitors this year, and 33% over the last 10 years (or whatever) then you need to know this when you are talking to them.

In other words, you're not selling them on you, you are just educating them on pain points and then your product or service is one way to overcome these. Now that is just one pain point, and honestly there are dozens of ways to sell products and services, but instead of blabbing on about me me me (you, you, you) you will peak their interest and get them sweating bullets.

Make sense? There is a lot involved in this and normally I get two responses:

1) That won't work for MY business. But trust me it will. How do I know?

Simple. The fact is people want to avoid mistakes, avoid pain, and if you are giving them honest information that is valuable they will listen. I mean, you're reading this, aren't you? (gotcha )

2) This is a lot of work.

Well, up front it might be a lot of work. But how much work is it if you never get a presentation or an appointment with your person. Getting no phone call back is a lot of work. Being bored is a lot of work. Not making money is a lot of work.

Anyway

If you know about their industry, and often times it isn't that hard to find, you'll instantly not be looked at as "just another salesperson."

Oh, and here is the key. Knowing stuff that they don't even know, that you can show to be true, is where you take it to another level. The goal is for the person you are selling to continually be saying, "Wow, I didn't know that!"

3) This is where we tie it all together. We know people are bombarded with information all the time which creates info overload. We know they will ignore most of your stuff.

So the goal is to get them to take attention, just like people are forced to slow down and gawk like rubberneckers at an accident on the side of the road.

Just like people are forced to stop what they are doing in their neighborhood if they hear a police siren.

So, this part depends on the economics of your business. If you haven't downloaded my free report CLICK HERE then you are missing out because I explain how important the "economics" are of your marketing plan. But let me summarize this right now.

But how do you get attention?

There are dozens of ways, but if you are mailing something generally you need something to catch their attention.

What will work? Well, remember above when I wrote the mail is basically a salesperson for you if used correctly? Ultimate leverage. Well, you can put a "grabber" in your piece that will stick out. You can use a FedEx Box with case studies and testimonials or you can use an audio recording of you.

But the main goal is to STICK out like a soar thumb.

A big red soar thumb. Heck, you could get a fake thumb online from somewhere, tape a note to it and say I wanted to get your attention and stick out like a soar thumb.

You see the possibilities are endlessjust make sure the economics support this for you.

That way the chances when you call and get a voicemail you can say, "Did you get my thumb?" or you can reference this when you call.

The goal is to get people to STOP sleep walking and notice you. It can't be all 100% gimmicks so you need to put in some valuable information, but the first part is getting attention.

Now admittedly this is some work, but understand this. Once the work is done, it is done. And you can reuse it a dozen times, a hundred times, a thousand times.

So if you send 22 testimonials ahead of time BEFORE you call someone then you can do that whenever it makes sense to do so. So the work is front loaded, but the results are worth it as long as you use it.

And let me end with this: If these thoughts went through your head, "Man, this is a lot of work." or "This won't work for my business." Or "this is too expensive" then you should definitely start implementing these ideas.

WHY? Because if you're thinking it, other people are, and that is why they will end up being "just another salesperson" or just another whateverand that is exactly why people are pereceived like "just another"

Wait, I gotta go. Someone just rang the doorbell.

To Your Success,

Matt Wenger

About the author

Matt Wenger is a "Serial Entrepreneur" who graduated with a degree in Psychology and is currently working on a Master's Degree in Psychology. He has applied this psychological degree along with self-study into studying direct response marketing, internet marketing, sales systemization, human behavior, economics, and more. He has interests in and owns several businesses including a marketing fulfillment company, and does marketing consulting. Matt also is involved in cost recovery which reduces overhead for businesses.
How To Select the Best Work At Home Business For You by:Thomas Kelly O'Connor Jobs At Home For Early Retirement by:Eric Senechal Hidden DVR Cameras - For Home and Business Security by:Fred Rose Can Your Internet Business From Home Survive Major Surgery by:Richard Harley Work At Home Moms: Now Is The Time To Start That Business You've Always Wanted To! by:Danielle Martenson How to Promote a New Home Business Blog by:TJ Philpott The Risks Of Home Mortgage Refinancing by:Alan Lim Fixed Vs. Adjustable Rate Home Mortgage Loan by:Alan Lim Determining The Best Time For A Home Mortgage Refinance by:Alan Lim How To Get The Most Favorable Home Loan Rate Deal by:Alan Lim Guide To Refinancing Through A Home Equity Loan by:Alan Lim Getting The Best Home Loan Rate Through Refinancing: Reduce Payment Or Shorten Loan Terms? by:Alan Lim Looking For The Right Home Mortgage Loan by:Alan Lim
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.147.13.229) / Processed in 0.008313 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 172 , 12425, 54,