Insurances.net
insurances.net » Internet Insurance » How Do I Tell If an Online College or University Is Accredited?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

How Do I Tell If an Online College or University Is Accredited?

How Do I Tell If an Online College or University Is Accredited

?

There are so many options available when considering an online college or university. While there are many great schools and opportunities, there are also many schools that are not properly accredited. Even if you graduate and receive a diploma, to many states and employers, it means nothing if the school was not accredited. It is for this reason that when you are considering enrolling in an online college, you need to do some research and examine your options carefully.

What does it mean to be accredited?

Accreditation is the process that a school goes through in order to make sure that the education provided is one of high quality and adheres to set criteria. There are two types of accreditation: Regional and National. Regional accreditation is the most widely accepted. The majority of colleges and universities in the US are regionally accredited. A school's accreditation determines eligibility for participation in state financial aid programs.

How do I know if the school I have chosen is accredited?

The U.S. Secretary of Education maintains a database to check the accreditation of post secondary schools. There are approximately 6900 institutions and programs listed which are approved by accrediting agencies or state approval agencies recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education. The Regional Accreditation Agencies are divided as follows:

The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools

The New England Association of Schools and Colleges

The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools

The Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Beware!

There are, unfortunately, schools that will take your money and offer you a "quick" degree. These schools are referred to as "diploma mills". There are several warning signs for such institutions.

They say that they are accredited, but NOT by an agency recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation or by the U.S. Department of Education.

The name of the institution is very similar in name to a well known university.

They tell you that you can receive your diploma for a "lump sum" Traditional colleges charge tuition by credit hours, courses, or semesters.

The institution offers admission by securing your credit card and not your academic records.

Faculty members are graduates of colleges and universities that are not accredited.
College Class Online How to Turn Your Career Through Online Job Search Online Option What You Should Know The Best Online Cell Phone Tracker Writing Articles Online For Money - 3 Secrets to Making Money Through Article Writing Watch 2011 Formula 1 Australia Grand Prix Online The GFRC Balustrade Railing, Lightweight and Building Codes Online Virus Scanners Are Nifty Little Tools Watch Formula One Australia Grand Prix 2011 Live Online Why people play bingo online? Bundled Online MSDS and Online Safety Training Management Special Offer Getting Ready For an Online Degree Range of Online Degrees Expanding - It's Your Choice!
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.149.251.154) / Processed in 0.012338 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 36 , 2669, 973,