Insurances.net
insurances.net » Others » Few & Far Between - Why are there hardly any female drum n bass producers?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Few & Far Between - Why are there hardly any female drum n bass producers?

Few & Far Between - Why are there hardly any female drum n bass producers

?

There is plenty of truly awesome female dnb DJ's who do us proud, but to find a producer who writes the tracks with some serious credible production is way more difficult, they are so few and far between. Plenty of women make amazing, great quality music in so many different genres but drum n bass is one of those which women don't really touch. Why is this?

Firstly before I crack on with this, I'm not a feminist in the slightest. I totally believe women can do what they want these days, but from walking round with my eyes open observing what I see I can only conclude that women and men to this day, still have gender roles. We don't see hairdressers full of burly looking lads chopping hair, we don't see men often doing nails in a beauty salon, equally we don't see many women on the front line in the army or putting out fires working for the fire service. I don't for one moment think this is to do with men 'blocking' women or women 'blocking' men....it's just what we like and choose to do. We have been mentally setup through generation upon generation of people who had gender roles, it is in our genetic makeup to behave the way we do. If little girls like to play with dolls and little boys with cars then that is totally fine.

Drum n bass production is really technically heavy. It's taken me eight years to tune my sound to get it like this. I had no issue in the last eight years approaching men who I did and didn't know saying 'right sit down and show me all you know'. I had no issue in asking to be taught, I didn't care if they thought I was dumb, I just wanted the knowledge. I'm 100% a go getter and didn't care what people thought, I just wanted to make great music.

So is it just a case of the gender divide and women not feeling comfortable enough to ask? I don't really know. There is plenty of women who absolutely love dnb, go to every night, DJ in their bedroom learning from a book same as aspiring male DJ's do....but when there is no official way to educate themselves out of a book on production it grinds to a halt. So why don't they ask? This is pure speculation but I think it is because your not only learning to be a dnb producer, your also learning how to fire fight peoples assumptions.

In the past I have played percussion with a few drum n bass DJ's and it's always assumed I don't know much about drum n bass, it's assumed I'm just another musician making a fast buck, and also if there is a technical fault it's assumed I won't be able to fix it however I'm a qualified live sound engineer. Not only this, when people find out I'm a dnb producer they say "Well show us what your made of then?" like I have something to prove. I frequently don't provide music to people with that attitude because there is always someone else with a positive reception I would rather spend my time on.

I think women have to be head strong to overlook these issues. I have played drums since the age of 12 and so I grew up just dealing with it, I just let it all fly over my head now. A lot of producers get into making dnb in their late teens, early 20's and I think the older we become the more conscientious about gender and assumptions we become, which is not encouraging to women. Perhaps I slipped through the net because I have been fire fighting this issue since a young age?

With my words here I may have enraged you or made you think, depending on what your view point is, but as a woman making dnb, this is my offering of how I perceive it. I'm more than happy for you to hurl abuse or show me differently!!!

http://soundcloud.com/strictstatus/strict-status-bbc-introducing-manchester

http://www.strictstatus.co.uk
Learn English In Malta:designed For You Getting Approved For A Fha Streamline Refinance Important Things To Consider When Making Cheap But Good-Looking Wedding Invitations Essentials On Retractable Banner Stands To Lose Weight Fast Without Pills Is The Easiest Thing You Can Do Compliment Dream Day With Wedding Photography Vancouver Will People Become Even More Afraid Of Personal Contact? Should I Take The Motorcycle Skills Exam Or A Safety Course? Practical Yet Exciting As Well As Perfect Getaway By Way Of Las Vegas City Tour Deals The Advantages of An Online Presence Chandler Divorce Lawyer- Getting A Divorce Team Together How to buy the right bed for you Movie Review Golmaal 3
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.141.24.134) / Processed in 0.012512 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 3997, 975,