Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Famagusta - North Cyprus Holidays
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Famagusta - North Cyprus Holidays

Famagusta - North Cyprus Holidays

History of Famagusta

In 1571 the ottomans took the city and it soon reverted to the insignificant port city it had been in earky times. During British rule much of the architectural heritage of the city was lost when stone was taken from many of the historical sites aid in the building of the suez cemal.

Places visit in Famagusta

The Twin Churches

The larger of the two churches built in the 14th C belonged to the knights Templar. When the last grandmaster and their other leaders were burned as heretics in 1313 the order came to an end and the church was left to the Knights hospitlers, who owned the adjoing building has been restored and is now being used by the Cyprus Art Society.

The Kertikli Baths

A building to the North of the city constructed by the ottomans these baths are notable for the domes, The building is comparies of six domed rooms, a reservoir covered with a vaulted ceiling and a section believed to be the dressing room. the ceiling of which has collaspsed.

St.George of Latins Church

A beatiful example of Gothic architecture, said to be based on St.Chapelle in paris, was built towards the end 13th C.

St.Barnabas Monasteryu

St.Barnabas of Cyprus, was killed by his compatriots and his corpse was hidden i an underground cavce to the west of Salamis. The corpse remained hidden of many years, its whereabouts unknown. I year 432 Bishop Antemios saw the grawe in a dream and has the palce excavated. Informed about this, the Emporor Byzantium made a donation for monastery to be built on the location of the grave. and bestowed autony on the Church of Cyprus. The monastery built in 477AD housed and icon museum today.

Ravelin

Ravelin is one of the two arched entries into the walled city of fmagusta. When the venetians were surronded by the ottomans in 1571 the white flag was hoisted here. For this reasons, the Ravelin Gate was called "Akkule" ( White Tower ) by the ottomans.

Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque

The Cathedral of St. Nicholas built by the lusignans between 1298 and 1312 is a stunnung example of a Gothic Cathedral in Cyprus. The lusignans held the coronation ceremony for the Kings of jeruselam in this cathedral During ottoman rule the cathedral was transformed into mosque with during Ottoman harming its original shape, with the simple addition of minaret.

by: Erickay
Your Guide To Sports Entertainment In Medan Bored Of The Beach...? Thought So! Increase Your Chances Of Getting Your Dream Cruise Ship Job I Love Sightseeing Tours Of Italy - Winter Attractions And Events In Latium Peru Holidays: Helping Us Forget The Recession Holiday Cottages: A Perfect and Special Accommodation for your Vacations Should I Be Taking Uk Holidays? Marketing You Florida Vacation Villa During The Off-peak Season Top Reasons To Book Valencia Beach Holiday Apartments Online Manhattan's East Side - Base Camp And Beyond New York City Vacations - 57th Street And Beyond Discover Manhattan's Beautiful Side Should I Stay Or Should I Go? With Rooms This Nice, You'll Want To Stay
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.119.118.99) Wyoming / Casper Processed in 0.014014 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 30 , 2458, 954,
Famagusta - North Cyprus Holidays Casper