Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Entourage Edge
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Entourage Edge

Entourage Edge

Entourage Edge

Form Factor, E-Ink Screen

The Edge looks and feels like a small laptop when closed. It measures 8.3 by 10.8 by 1.0 inches (HWD) and weighs just over three pounds. It's available in five colors (Dark Blue, Light Blue, Red, White, and Black); I tested the gloss black version. Flimsy feeling plastic parts abound, including plenty of hard buttons that generate a stiff "crack" when pressed. A backlit trackball offers sluggish Web page scrolling and not much else, as there's no mouse cursor. Two stereo speakers are built into the stiff, massive hinge. You can open the unit like a book with both screens facing you, or fold it over so that one screen is open on the table while the other sits covered. There are so many switches, buttons, and ports on this thing, on all its seven edges, that I repeatedly forgot where the power switch was. The huge power adapter features a large, stiff AC cable; the combination makes the Edge even less portable/Get a Hp laptop ac adapter.

The 9.7-inch e-ink screen is the same size as the one on Amazon's larger Kindle DX ($379, ). With 825-by-1,200-pixel resolution, it can display eight shades of gray, compared with the DX's 16 shades of gray. Screen contrast was roughly equivalent to a Barnes & Noble Nook ($199, ) I had on hand, though page turns were slightly slower. Interestingly, the e-ink screen comes with a plastic stylus, which lets you take notes, draw, or annotate existing text on the screen. All of this worked well in practice, providing I wrote slowly and deliberately. Erasing also worked fine; the editing mode features two strips of icons across the top, plus a toolbar on the bottom, so you have plenty of options.Entourage Edge

Granted, the Edge's e-ink screen wasn't as responsive to touch as the Sony Reader Daily Edition's ($299.99, ) display, though the Edge's exhibited much better contrast. Even so, the Edge weighs twice as much as the already-too-heavy Apple iPad ($499, ), and almost four times as much as the Nook or a standard-size Kindle ($189, ). It's also much thicker than any of those devices; forget holding the Edge up while resting on the couch. Lay it down and it's not as bad, but there's no getting around its girth.

Color Touch Screen, OS, and Bookstore

The other side of the Edge features a 10.1-inch, 600-by-1,024-pixel, plastic resistive color touch screen. It features four-way manual rotation via a switch (instead of a built-in accelerometer). Touch response was pretty poor in my tests; tapping and swiping often took several tries. Typing on the on-screen keyboard was okay in portrait mode, but a disaster in landscape mode, where the unit defaults to highly rectangular keys that are too squished. Worse, the screen was too dim even at the brightest setting, with low contrast and very poor viewing angles. Even looking at the display straight on, color accuracy varied at the edges, and from a slight angle it appeared noticeably dimmer.

The Edge runs Google's Android 1.6 OS. During my tests, the device took an average of one minute and seven seconds to boot, which isn't exactly fast. Five icons along the bottom handle basic functions: a shopping cart, your e-Book library, a Web browser, messaging, and a Menu button that brings up the Android main menu. For Internet connectivity, the Edge hooks into 802.11b/g Wi-Fi networks, but lacks any 3G cellular data options for buying books over the air. The e-book reader works with ePub and PDF files; you can buy them from Entourage's own e-book store/Get a ebook battery, which includes some New York Times bestsellers, plus $3 and $4 copies of public domain books that you're better off downloading from Project Gutenberg for free. The store looked pretty sparse compared with what Amazon's and Barnes & Noble's e-book stores offer; Entourage says it contains 200,000 titles (which is less than half of what Amazon offers) plus access to Google's free book library of 1.3 million public domain titles. I didn't see any magazines or newspapers, either.

Other Apps, Multimedia, and ConclusionsEntourage Edge

As a proper (large) Android device, you can watch videos, listen to music, or run plenty of other apps with the Edge. Browsing the Web worked fine using the WebKit browser, though the Edge's dim, stubborn color screen made it much less fun than on an iPad. The built-in apps also had their share of UI issues. To cite just one example, I was excited to try Documents To Go, which normally works well on Android smartphones. But after registering the app, heading to Word To Go, and creating a new document, I couldn't figure out how to bring up on the on-screen keyboard. I thought it was a bug, but it turns out you must click and hold the menu button in an open document.

For media, there's 4GB of internal storage, with 3GB free for user programs and media files, plus a side-mounted SD card slot. A standard-size 3.5mm headphone jack lets you plug in standard headphones. There's also a microphone input, Bluetooth, and a webcam. The Webcam works with the built-in camcorder, and Bluetooth lets you use wireless stereo earbuds, but that's it; Entourage is working on additional features for the future. The lithium-polymer battery is good for up to six hours running the LCD screen. Even when fully charged and used partially in standby mode, the battery managed to drain almost completely by the end of the day.

Despite all this, dedicated Android enthusiasts that are also avid readers can find some things to like in the Entourage Edge. But I wager that's a fairly small niche market. The Edge may be in a class of one, but it will take a strong anti-Microsoft bias to buy this thing over a $500 Windows 7 laptop, or a strong anti-Apple bias to choose it over an iPad. It's also tough to recommend the Edge over Borders' Kobo eReader ($149.99, ), the $149 Wi-Fi-only Nook, or the $189 Kindle, which can even buy books over the air using 3G. Not to mention that all are much smaller and lighter than the Edge.

I'm still waiting for the original promise of what became the overpriced, poorly executed, JooJoo ($499, ): a thin, easy-to-use Android tablet that could beat the iPad on weight and cost, while running tablet-specific Android Market apps like Amazon's Kindle. In today's market, the ungainly Entourage Edge proves two things: an e-ink-based e-book reader needs to be small, lightweight, and inexpensive, and a color tablet PC needs to be sleek, powerful, and easy to use(hp laptop battery). The Edge may be a cool idea, but it offers none of those things.
Baby Travel System - The Most Comfortable Way Of Traveling With Your Baby Special Halloween Holiday Costumes Ski Accommodation That Allows You To Relax And Have Fun For A Fabulous Cost Jaffna Peninsula A Land Of Eternal Summer Cheap Holidays To Albania: Dont Miss A Tour To Albania Rajasthan Tours & Travels - Explore Jaipur Jaisalmer And Jodhpur You Can Get Travel Insurance Pre Existing Medical Conditions At A Reasonable Price Flights Delhi To Kolkata, Travel To And Fro Economically Kenya Travel Tours and Activities in Kenya Christmas Graphics Superpack-Christmas Clipart Christmas Graphics Super Pack- Make early Christmas Decorations Using Candle Wax "A Great Way of Decorating Illuminations" Villas at Vilamoura-ALGARVE
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.116.36.192) Georgia / Atlanta Processed in 0.013887 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 24 , 6780, 954,
Entourage Edge Atlanta