Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Creating Wealth: How Many Investment Properties Do I Need To Retire?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Creating Wealth: How Many Investment Properties Do I Need To Retire?

Creating Wealth:  How Many Investment Properties Do I Need To Retire?

Have you ever wondered how many properties you need to be able to retire on the rent from the properties you own

? If the rent you received from your investment properties replaced your income, you would no longer need to work.

This article shows you how to do the calculation. I have used figures that are real for me, and based on the area where I live in Australia. Rather than using average figures or statistics, I'm using real figures based on the type of property I own. I would rather teach you using a real example, and then you use your own specific figures based on your specific circumstances.

The income I am aiming to replace is $62,000. The current median price of property where I invest is $450,000. The median rent of property in that area is $425 per week.

The average annual cost of owning one of these properties are:Creating Wealth:  How Many Investment Properties Do I Need To Retire?

Rates: $2,200

Body corporate: $2,800

Insurance: $400

Property management fees: $1,900

Repairs, maintenance and other: $1,000

Total costs: $8,300 per year or $160 per week.

So, I am earning a total of $265 per week per property. This was calculated as $425 rent per week less $160 expenses per week. This is a total income of $13,780 per year.

So how many properties do I need to replace an income of $62,000?

The answer is five, calculated as $62,000 divided by $13,780.

Based on the specific figures used in this example, you would need four properties to replace an income of $50,000.

You may have noticed that I did not include loan interest payments in the calculations. This is because you need to own the properties outright. No loans on the properties, and therefore no loan interest expense.

You now have a structure for a goal. For example, to replace an annual income of $62,000 by owning five investment properties outright.

Having the goal is the first step. Now you need strategies on how to achieve that goal. You may be happy to pay down the loans slowly over time. The strategy we are applying is to buy more than five properties over time. As the properties appreciate in value, sell some of the properties to pay down the loans. You could then be left with five properties you own outright.

This example has solely looked at the rental income you can earn through property. There is a whole other aspect of earning capacity that we haven't looked at: capital growth. It's generally said that property purchased in a good location, doubles in value every 7 to 10 years however this depends on many variables in the economy. If you are holding a minimum of five good properties in your property portfolio, over time a wealth of capital growth will be building.

But that is an exciting topic for another day ...

by: Suzie Crawford
Time Sensitive Shipping Across The Entire Country Borneo - Exotic Island Paradise Paul Smith's Afro-Caribbean Beach Party Western Australia Pushing For More Migration Keep Your Little Monkeys Busy This Summer Airlines Guidebook On Special Reductions Or Excursion Trips On Planes For Baltimore Keep Within Your Christmas Budget Rocket French Review Member Country Christian Louboutin Gift Ideas for Travel Enthusiasts Cleaning Companies In London Welcome To Travel in India Shanghai Travel Guide
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.191.236.174) Mato Grosso do Sul / Campo Grande Processed in 0.012964 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 38 , 2908, 954,
Creating Wealth: How Many Investment Properties Do I Need To Retire? Campo Grande