Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Building a Strong Relationship Between Parents and Grown Children
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Building a Strong Relationship Between Parents and Grown Children

Not surprisingly,parents and their adult children often experience some problems in their relationships. For the parents, the change from being the primary influence tosomething less in the child's life isn't easy to accept. For the adult child, the roles become blurred. Are my parents still authorityfigures?Friends? Something in between?What about how they interact with my children? My in-laws?

Various studies have highlightedkey areas in a parent-adult child relationship that could cause problems:

Differences in communication stylesBuilding a Strong Relationship Between Parents and Grown Children

Lifestyle choices of the adult child

The way grandkids are being raised

Political and religious differences

The employment status of the adult child

How the household is run and maintained

Parents wouldn't be parents if they didn't compare what they see happening in these areas with how the child was raised. The child wouldn't be considered a mature adult if he or she hadn't developed some differences from the parents. There may be a shared DNA, but each of us is unique and each responds differently to situations and what life throws at us.

It is a given that there will be some rough spots between parents and their adult child. Myresearch to prepare for this post lead me to several sources that were remarkably consistent in their advice.Not all of these suggestions will apply in your situation or even be workable. But, it would be wise to think about each point listed below and determine if a particular answer fits your situation.

Accept differences. This is probably the most important suggestion and the toughest. Your adult child is not you. As he or she grows life experiences will result in changes that you may not fully approve of. At this stage of the game it isn't your job to approve. It's your responsibility to accept them.

Don'tjudge. At least not out loud. Obviously, this closely follows the first suggestion. You are no longer judge and jury. The child is looking for approval, acceptance, or at least tolerance for what they have done. They are not looking for you to tell them what they are doing wrong.

Timing is not under your control. While the child may still need and solicit your input and guidance, it will be less frequently than you may want or think necessary. Interactions of this sortshould not be initiated by you.You may not see your grown child as often as you'd like. Remember, he has his own schedule and life.

Respect new traditions and ways of doing things. The way your adult child and his significant other or family celebrate a holiday,decorate the house, plan their vacations, even dress themselves may not be your way. Remember, it is their way and deserving of your acceptance.

Blending two families can be tricky.If married, your child is now part of two families. He or she must attempt to keep two sets of parents happy. That can be quite difficult. Take the high road and don't insist on a perfect balance of time and attention.That will only make things tougher on your child.

Respond to questions or pleas for help like you would any other adult, not your child. When I read this in more than one study it struck me as a crucial part ofhaving a healthy relationship. Do you talk with your adult child like you would a co-worker, or a friend? Or, do you talk at him? Unsolicited advice-givingor lecturing won't work on another adult. Why would you think it would work on your grown-up child?

Learn good listening skills. This is something that can improve all our relationships, not just withan adultchild. Most of us are thinking about our answer while the other person is talking. We aren't truly listening to what they have to say. There is a particular skill called reflective listening that is important to understand. It is a way of listening that will instantly improve any relationship in which you apply it.

Decide that a healthy relationship is more important than the disagreements. Do you want to score points andwin the argument while losing the war? Accept that your adult child is not under your control anymore. Accept that he or she is an adult with opinions, ideas, and beliefs that may differ from yours....like most of the rest of the adult world. That acceptance will gain you a much better shot at having the healthy, nurturing, and loving relationship you desire.

Personally, I can report that these suggestions work. In the case of our grown daughtersmy wife and I have been extremely fortunate.Areas of conflict and differenceshave been very minor. Nothing has taken place to harm a tremendously close bond between parents and kids. In fact, both girls moved back toour hometownto be close to us, as well as friends and extended family.

I can't tell you exactly why we have escaped any problems so far or claim we never will. We have tried to keep most of our opinions to ourselves. We have respected their choices and allowed them to build their own lives. While we may question some things that occur, we only do that in the privacy of our home, not in front of them.One thing we do is actively look for things we can do together. Picnics, watching football or sporting events together, movies ata theater or at a home or apartment, seeing plays and musicals together, meals out...any excuse to spend quality time together in a relaxed and enjoyable setting goes a long way to smoothing over the bumps that are going to occur.

There is nothing better than having a warm, supportive, loving relationship with your grown children. Whatever effort it requires to make this happen is well worth it.
Getting Kids To Eat Vegetables Emotional Development For Your Child Do Not Buy Fish Oil For Kids! Children Menorahs A Child's Role in Pet Care Don't Forget the Kids Franchise Medication In Tap Water - Are They Safe For Your Children Does Your Child Have Atopic Eczema Do You Think Your Child May Have Aspergers? How to Help Your Teenager at a Private Drug Treatment Center Child Plush Adult Mascot Costume, Bear Mascot Costume How Do I Get My Wife Back? We Have Kids - 5 Tips For What To Do Next Foreign Adoption Agencies: Encouraging Couples To Foster Special Kids
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.218.172.249) Campania / Vairano Patenora Processed in 0.014008 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 42 , 5862, 956,
Building a Strong Relationship Between Parents and Grown Children Vairano Patenora