Insurances.net
insurances.net » Internet Insurance » Are Your People On A Chain? by:Kreg Enderson
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Are Your People On A Chain? by:Kreg Enderson

Are Your People On A Chain? by:Kreg Enderson

I am finally reading "The 8th Habit" by Stephen Covey

. It seems to be a great book so far. One of the nice things about this book is that it includes a website that has short videos about some of the topics, so you can watch the video and then go back to the book which makes the learning experience much better.

One of the videos makes the comparison of how a leader "manages" his prize hunting dog and his new employee. And after I watched the video, I had to laugh because I have experienced many similar situations in the workplace. The dog is not allowed to go into the water, he must stay on the grass. One day the "leader" drops his hat into the water. His dog immediately jumps into the water and brings the hat back to his master, hoping to receive praise for his efforts. What he gets is a loud voice telling him that he is never to leave the grass.

How often do we as leaders forget that we have great people around us that want to take the initiative to help customers or please their manager, but when they act outside of our standard "policies" we jump all over them. As a leader, we need to look at why people do the things they do, and never suppress the initiative and enthusiasm that brings most people to our team. When you have a team member that does act outside the policies, start by asking them what they did and why. Learn how they think and approach problems and coach them from that perspective. Once you break your people of wanting to do the right thing, you begin to manage robots.

So take a fresh look at the things your team members do, and remember to encourage the right thought process and do not simply manage their actions to conform to current policies. A team of people that keep their enthusiasm and initiative will make you a much more successful leader.

Kreg Enderson

Leadership Mentor/Coach

www.LeadershipMentor.net

Take a look at our new "Learning Leaders Mentoring Groups"

Monthly mentoring program for new leaders.

About the author

Kreg Enderson is a certified coach that works with leaders to help them produce great results with their people. More information can be found at www.leadershipmentor.net.

kreg@Leadershipmentor.net
The U.S. Department of Justice looking into SDL's acquisition of Trados by:Don DePalma and Renato Beninatto Debt Consolidation Scam Claims Repayment UnnecessaryDebt Consolidation Scam Claims Repayment Unnecessary by:Charles Essmeier How to Get a Government Home Loan with Low or Moderate Income by:Rebecca Game Rapid Refunds Rapidly Take Your Money by:Charles Essmeier What Is Company Fraud And How Do You Stop It? (Part 1 Of 2) by:Peter Granger Credit Card Penalties by:Peter Kenny Expo To Help Americans Realize Their No. 1 Goal: Owning A Small Business by:Aggie Kobrin You Haven't Earned the Right to Sell to Me! by:Kathleen Gage How Do I Build A Winning Business Plan? Part 1 by:Neil Best How to Get Your Husband to Back Your Home Business Idea by:Liz Folger Balance Transfer Disasters by:Mr. Peter Kenny The Secret To Finding The Best Mortgage Loan by:Scott Patterson Don't Let Credit Card Fraud Lead Your Dance by:Ben Shaffer
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(13.59.243.64) Washington / Seattle Processed in 0.005255 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 22 , 2459, 973,
Are Your People On A Chain? by:Kreg Enderson Seattle