Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Are Your Children Really Safe Online?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Are Your Children Really Safe Online?

Are Your Children Really Safe Online?

Author: David Share

In the digital world today, children are at major risk from internet threats. They are targeted through seemingly reputable websites, chat programs and social networking sites. Search engines alone can easily expose your children to online predators and illicit content without warning. So what can a parent do?

Before this can be looked at, first answer some questions so that you gain a better understanding of how your children use the internet at home and how little you may know about their activity.

1. Do you know what your children are doing every time they go online? Are Your Children Really Safe Online?

2. Do you know who your children chat to when they go on the online?

3. Do you know what type of material your children are looking at when they are surfing online?

4. Do you know how often children become victims of predators whilst surfing online at home?

If you have answered NO to any of these questions, then you need to ask yourself, how can I not know these answers? The answer is because you have not had any active help or guidance in protecting your children when they are surfing online. Sure, you can read articles and receive impartial advice but without a push in the right direction, why would you have setup a solution.

2009's figures provided by ContentWatch, a multi-awarded winner and globally renowned content protection provider for children stated that in 2008 1 in 3 children ages 10-17 had unwanted exposure to sexual material and 1 in 5 children of the same age received a sexual solicitation over the Internet. These are shocking figures and my intention is not just to scaremonger, but to alert parents and schools to the dangers your children are facing without your knowledge. You could be sitting in your front room watching television whilst your child is being harassed, bullied or even e-groomed in the computer room. However, the real danger is that children do not really understand which unfortunately leads to the terrifying stories we read in the newspapers around the globe.

So back to the first question, what can a parent do?

I know that parents do not have the time to research, manage and setup software to protect their children. I know this because I own an IT Company and we provide as part of our Safe Surfing solutions, a Family Protection Service that keeps children protected from inappropriate content and contact when they use the internet. But what you can do supersedes any service solution or software offering and that is education. Educate your children, explain the dangers and the risks and then talk about it with them so that they understand how dangerous the internet is. When you teach your children to drive, you explain that although driving is fun and exciting, it is like carrying a "loaded gun" and you always need to have the safety catch on. Essentially, you need to explain that the internet can easily be used as a weapon if you are not careful and it is very important to use it wisely and appropriately.

Education is the key and of course setting up content protection software is essential; children are still children and they do need to be protected and monitored. But, if you can get the first step right and teach your children how dangerous the internet is then hopefully we will start to see the global abuse figures reduce significantly.About the Author:

Article written by David Share, Director of Cobra, an IT Support and Solutions company based in the United Kingdom.
Top Digital Baby Monitor: Review Of Safety 1st HD Digital Video Baby Monitor Leaving Work To Have And Raise A Baby? There Are Many Ways A New Mother Can Earn Money From Home! Get Over Having A Baby With An Ex I Fear My Ex Will Do Something Stupid When He Sees Our Children Teaching Your Kids to Save Money Children Vitamins Ensure the Growth of Children Efficiently Benefits Of Music Lessons For Children Ways To Encourage Your Child’s Imagination Learn To Write: Writing Logical Children's Stories! Otoplasty: Know Why Childhood Is The Best Time For The Procedure Plus Size Clothing Tips For Children Plus Size Fashion For Teens - Very Much Alive And Kicking Personalized Baby Boy Gift: What To Contribute To Your New Nephew
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(13.58.184.30) Tel-Aviv / Tel Aviv Processed in 0.007667 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 24 , 3732, 956,
Are Your Children Really Safe Online? Tel Aviv