Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Are Parents Responsible For Overweight Children?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Are Parents Responsible For Overweight Children?

The percentages of overweight children have more than doubled over the last 30 years

. The following statistics from the CDC are alarming and should concern every parent.

*11% of children 2-5 are now overweight.

*15% of children 6-11 are now overweight

*18% of children 12-19 are now overweightAre Parents Responsible For Overweight Children?

What has caused such a dramatic risk to our children's health? Do parents realize overweight children have a 70% greater risk of being overweight as an adult? Do parents realize their child could end up as a statistic of being one of the 113,000 who die each year because of obesity? The above statistics are ominous and parents should realize the health complications by allowing their child to be in this position. Besides their health, a parent should be concerned with the teasing and bullying that now takes place at school. Especially since teen suicide is on the rise. As a parent we have certain responsibilities that can not be overlooked.

In my office, when I approach a parent about my apprehension with their child's weight, one of two things always happens. The parents get angry or they just ignore the problem. I try to explain the concept of having the child involved in physical activity rather than sitting in front of the computer or TV, but to no avail, the parents just don't get it. Talking about weight loss is about like talking to my wall. Could it be they choose to ignore the problem because they themselves would have to set an example to follow? Are they so busy with their jobs they can not see the dilemma their child is in? If the child is abused or neglected in the home, the state will intervene. Would more parents become involved if the state concluded obesity is also considered neglect?

Child obesity is a serious problem and should be addressed. Children need physical activity to keep in shape body wise and mentally. Parents need to start limiting the computer, TV and video games. For example, my family is always made to participate in our family fun days and beyond. We play family football, basketball, tennis, horseback riding, and roller skating, just to name a few. Do my children resent the fact my husband and I make them participate? No, because they enjoy spending time with us. We also cut wood for our outside boiler which does bring about minor complaints, but we then reward ourselves for a job well done with a movie or game of the kids choosing. As the old saying goes "A family that plays together, stays together" and obesity will not be an issue.

by: Shawni Groezinger
FX Child's Play System Review – Evaluating Forex Trading System Good-looking Kids Moncler Free Children's Church Lesson Plan: For The Children Of God How To Make A Website For Kids FX Child's Play System Review Christmas Shopping with Kids Tips To Preventing Teen Dating Violence Parenting A Child With Aspergers - Parenting Aspergers Helping Children With Aspergers - Parenting Aspergers Parenting Children With Aspergers - Parenting Aspergers Christian Academies: Educating the Value of God since Childhood Some Of The Best Ways To Teach Phonics Sounds To Kids China Adoption - A Very Sensitive Issue For Kids And Parents As Well!
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.145.186.173) / Processed in 0.012228 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 14 , 2613, 956,