Insurances.net
insurances.net » Pet Insurance » All About Selecting A Hunting Dog
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

All About Selecting A Hunting Dog

All About Selecting A Hunting Dog

I am what people call a "dog person." My whole family raised dogs when I was growing up

, and I have learned so much about America's favorite breeds. While most people do not adopt a dog based upon its original, bred-in working purpose, many dogs are still tremendously useful in a variety of activities.

For example, many farmers and ranchers find a dog from the herding group to be helpful in their daily duties. Families and individuals seeking a living, breathing security system often pick out canines from the working group to protect them and their homes. And finally, furry friends from the sporting group make excellent companions for hunters.

Choosing a "gun dog"--a dog meant to accompany and assist you on hunting excursions--can be challenging, particularly if you have not gone through the process of adopting one before. Let me give you my best advice as someone who has adopted a variety of dogs and putting them to a range of tasks.

If you didn't already know, all dog breeds are organized into groups which tell us a little bit about what they were bred for. When you are searching for a hunting dog, you will want to make your selection from the sporting group. You can search official kennel club websites or find a book that gives you more information on the dogs that come from the sporting group.All About Selecting A Hunting Dog

Determine what kind of hunting you will need this dog for. A sight hunter like a Scottish deerhound is going to be drastically different from a Gordon setter, so make sure you know what you're after.

You will not want to adopt a mixed breed for the task of hunting. Many dogs have literally thousands of years of instinct bred into them, and you can't risk having that deterred by another bloodline. For example, a sight hound crossed with a scent hound may be ineffective.

To find a dog with absolute optimum health, temperament, and performance, you need to find a reputable breeder. It is not enough to find an ad in a newspaper for Labrador pups. All dogs have the potential to inherit genetic problems, which can sadly cut their lives short.

An effective breeder will only cross her (or his) smartest, healthiest dogs, which means that your dog is less likely to develop problems and will be easier to train. A good breeder will also take the time to answer your questions and address your concerns--not just when you adopt, but over the life of your dog.

Make sure to nurture your dogs instincts in between hunting trips. A retriever of any kind will generally be satisfied with regular games of fetch, but you may have to think of other games for spaniels and hounds. Get creative, and have fun with your dog!

by: Art Gib
Important Facts About Online Cpr Certification Beta the best natural choice for your dog Dog Vaccinations: What You Should Know Delta Petroleum Corporation Valuation Report, July 2010 - Strategic And Operational Analysis Thermal Springs in Peru - 3 Places to Unwind on Vacation by:Gary Sargent The Excellent Tourist Essentials For Locating The Amusing Escapade In Veracruz Online Cat Study Material- Convenience Galore Eliminating Dog Problems Do Beabull Puppies Make Great Pets For The Family? Guidelines on how to Notice Standard Indications of ADHD in kids For Legion Generations, Women's Pumps Posit Defied Everyday Classifications. Having A Pet Gets Rid Of Your Loneliness EVisa Asia - Your One-stop Solution To Asian Visa Applications by:Jennie Ho
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.119.133.96) Wyoming / Casper Processed in 0.012415 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 2761, 969,
All About Selecting A Hunting Dog Casper