What Do Can Do If You Got In A Car Accident by:Amir Galtino
Hopefully you may never be involved in an automobile accident or need to file an insurance claim. Even the most careful and skilled drivers, however, can easily find themselves in the middle of a crash. Would you know what to do? Knowledge of what to do after the auto accident can help make the insurance claims process less complicated and smoother so you are back on the road faster.
If you are in an auto accident:
1. Try to stay calm, stop your vehicle and check for injuries. The life and health of you, your passengers and the other folks concerned in the accident is far more significant than the automobile itself.
2. If needed, call the police and let them aware of the accident, your location, what number of people are concerned, whether there are wounds and the types of injuries.
3. You may wish to take reasonable steps to protect yourself, and your vehicle, from further damage. If possible and if legal, move the autos to the side of the road and turn on your hazards as quickly as it is safe. If you have flares, you may need to use them to alert oncoming traffic and to stop further crashes.
4. Taking lots of notes is a good practice, like:
the date, time and location of the accident
how the accident took place - infrequently a drawing is worth a thousand words and can help augment what you've noted
the type and location of damage to your automobile
the type and location of damage to the other cars or property involved
the names, addresses and contact information of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident
driver's license numbers and all the information on the licenses
insurance identifications including the name of the insurance company and policy number
the names, addresses and contact information of witnesses
the names and badge numbers of police officials or other first response personnel
(Being able to take notes is important so keep a pen and pad in your glove box, in case. )
5. You may wish to ask the police officer when and where you can get a copy of the accident report. There's a better chance you'll need it when you submit your insurance claim to your insurer.
6. It's usually a good idea to contact your insurance company right away and report the accident because the sooner they know about the problem the faster they can start working to solveresolve your insurance claim. As well, they'll be able to explain the next steps, like where to have the vehicle towed if necessary and arrange for an adjuster to come out and appraise the damage before any repair work is done.
7. There are a couple of do nots you may want to consider like don't talk about the financial boundries of your auto insurance policy and avoid talking about the responsibility for the accident or circumstances of the accident with anyone other than the police or a representative of your insurance company.
Auto accidents take a significant toll on anyboy involved. But, if you stay calm, make safety your priority and follow the above tips, you will get through the problem of being in an accident and submitting an insurance claim.
About the author
For more reviews about sports cars, visit thesupercars.org and while you are at it, you might also want to have a look at http://www.thesupercars.org/car-insurance/fatal-car-accidents-caught-on-tape/.