Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » The Reality of The Date Rape Drug by:Mardie Caldwell, C.O.A.P.
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

The Reality of The Date Rape Drug by:Mardie Caldwell, C.O.A.P.

April is Sexual Assault Month

Each month more than ten women of all ages and backgrounds contact our Adoption Center with the same experience- they have been victims of a date rape drug, and are now pregnant most of the time not knowing who got them pregnant. Just after Spring break, is a time when we see a peak in pregnancy. For many of these women a date rape drug was involved.

The U.S. Census, suggest that there may be 32,101 annual rape-related pregnancies among American women over the age of 18. With the adult pregnancy rate associated with rape estimated to be 4.7%.

Several college aged women have reported waking up in frat houses or apartments with no clothing on, finding themselves in strange surroundings with unknown people, or having actually been sexually assaulted while under the influence of a date rape drug.The Reality of The Date Rape Drug by:Mardie Caldwell, C.O.A.P.

Just recently our 18 yr old daughter shared her plans to celebrate her graduation with some girl friends in Cancun. Concerned with their safety and still wanting them to enjoy themselves. This prompted me to ask her- Do you and your friends know what rape drugs are and how they are used? Surprising she had heard very little on the topic, as most of the women that call us don't know either and wish someone had shared the following information.

Rohypnol is becoming the drug of choice for would-be rapist's .Most all predators target unsuspecting victims by slipping these illicit drugs into their beverages at parties, bars or nightclubs and dances. Rape drugs have the power to make one drink feel like six or more.

Laura a sophomore from Florida was one such call. Laura who attended a private party off campus recalls she was dancing when she feels it was when she left her beer that the perpetrator laced her drink. She recalls she only had one drink and started feeling kind of sick, then my memory got foggy, I started feeling drowsy, really dizziness, confused about where I was. My roommate was going to come with me to the party , but at the last minute she make other plans, I decided to go alone, which was my first mistake. She has no memory of what happened for the next 8 hours.

She woke up in a back room, in the club with bruises on her thighs, half naked and suspected that someone may have had sex with her, but couldn't remember who the person was or any other details. . She was hung over for days afterward.

Laurie blocked the whole incident from her mind and allowed a numbness to take over her feelings. Her grades fell and she found her mind wandering in class.

This is not uncommon for women that have been raped. This can be used as a defense mechanism against being overwhelmed with feelings or losing control and are common reactions to what has happened to them. Others become anxious or depressed.

In Laura's case she discovered 6 weeks later she was pregnant, she dropped out of college to have the baby and chose to have him adopted by a childless couple though our adoption center. "It was the only way I could make something good out of something so bad, I needed to do something positive and it wasn't the child's fault"

Laura recalls when she first found out how angry she was and scared, "I wouldn't have sex with a guy I didn't know. I have always been so careful of what I do and who I date. I was just so mad at myself for not being more careful, I didn't know if I had contracted a disease or HIV, it was very scary and embarrassing"

Toni was 19 yr old victim of a date rape drug in her freshman year in San Diego, during spring break. Assaulted at a party by a friend she met in a class and had known for almost a year. She kept saying "I considered him one of my best friends. He acted like he would protect me. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it actually happened to me, even now.

My body has been violated, my trust in him as a friend has been shaken and I feel betrayed... I keep saying to myself, "I know him, and he's not a terrible person - so it must have been something I said to him or did that got me into this mess." I don't remember and I keep trying to remember what I did, or said - what happened that night- my own judgment has been stunned!

"I just couldn't go through with an abortion after what happened- as hard as the pregnancy was for me, I have always believed there are no mistakes and this baby didn't cause this and should not be the one that suffered, I had done the suffering, abortion wasn't the answer to my problem" It took some time, but I chose a family that I knew would love this child no matter what. Even through the rape something came good out of it. Not what I had ever dreamt of when I started college. "I have never regretted giving birth and giving her life" I still have trouble trusting people, but am working on it.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, "Date Rape", is one of the fastest growing drug-facilitated, sexual assault crimes in America today. Two thirds of GHB is ingested by people aged 18-25 years old. And Ecstasy abuse has increased 500 percent over a five-year period.

Studies confirm that acquaintance rape occurs more commonly among college students, predominantly first year students, than among any other age group. A recent large study, found one in four college women reported being the victim of rape or attempted rape and 84% of their assailants were boyfriends or acquaintances. Most victims remember nothing of the incident except that the feeling of being violated. The same study found that one in four college men disclosed to having used sexual aggression with women, and one in twelve to committing sexual assault of some kind. These men will slip the drug into a woman's drink without their knowledge, most often in combination with beer, and wait for the drug to incapacitate the woman before sexual assaulting her. The assailants would go to parties to look for easy targets and opportunities and wait until the victim is too out of it to say "no" and then will have sex with them. Many men do it just to take advantage of women sexually. !

The drug is often added to punch or other open container drinks at fraternity parties, college functions and social gatherings, where it is reportedly given to female party goers in hopes of lowered their inhibitions and facilitating in a potential sexual conquest for the assailant. High risk situations are clubs, parties, bars, and raves. Women contacting us are of all backgrounds and ages. Many are still in some shock over being pregnant and are not sure of the race of the man than raped them, and have little to share about the "father" of their child.

The date rape drugs are often referred to as the "alphabet drugs" called "E" or Ecstasy, "G" which can be either GHB or GBL and "K" or "Special K" which is Ketamine. For a while Rohypnol or "Roofies" was one of the most popular date rape drugs, but it has been replaced by GHB as the date rape drug of choice. The most popular date-rape drugs are (GHB) gamma hydroxybutyrate and ketamine. The "date rape" drug or "sexual assault" drugs is the street name for Rohypnol because it has been associated with date rape. GHB is produced in clear liquid, white powder, tablet, and capsule forms. It is also been known common as: Rophies, Roofies, Roachies, Forget Pill ,R2, roofenol, Roche, circles, La rocha, Rope, Trip-and-Fall , Liquid X, Liquid E, G-Juice, Rib, Mexican Valium, Roach-2, Roopies, and Ropies, Mind-Erasers, Liquid Ecstasy," Somatomax , Scoop, or Grievous Bodily Harm.

Ketamine Also known as "K", "Special K" or "Vitamin K". Commonly comes in a liquid form, but is also found in powder or pill forms.

Rohypnol is not legal in the US, nor is not manufactured or sold legally in the United States. It is used as a short-term treatment for insomnia in other countries. It is produced and sold legally by prescription in Europe and Latin America, then smuggled into the United States by mail or travelers smuggled it in. The drug is often distributed on the street in its original "bubble packaging" which creates a false appearance of legitimacy and makes it appear to be harmless and legal. Rohypnol tablets are white, scored on one side, with the word "ROCHE" and an encircled one or two indicating the dosage on the other. Rohypnol is a low-cost drug, often less than $5.00 per tablet. They are sold in sealed bubble pack of one or two mg doses.

Rohypnol can be addictive and cause physical dependence. It has physiological effects similar to Valium but is nearly ten times more potent. Withdrawal symptoms include headache, muscle pain, confusion, hallucinations and convulsions. Some women have had seizures occur up to a week after cessation of use.

Rohypnol can often be dissolved in a beverage, and is easily undetectable.

Ecstasy Also known as MDMA and is known on the street as Adam, XTC, E, M, Bean, and Roll. Ecstasy comes in a tablet that is often branded; a few samples are shown below:

In combination with alcohol, it can induce a blackout with memory loss and a decrease in resistance. Women as young as 13 throughout the country have reported being raped after being involuntarily sedated with Rohypnol. Roughly ten minutes after having the drug in her system, women report feeling dizzy and disoriented, at the same time feeling too hot or too cold or both, some become nauseated. Sedation starts appox. 25-30 minutes crest within two hours, with effects continue for up to eight hours. The drug has no taste or odor. Victims don't have any memories of what happened while under the drug's influence. The woman can appear extremely intoxicated, with slurred speech or experience difficulty speaking, gastrointestinal disturbances and urinary retention, poor coordination, swaying, blood-shot eyes, decreased blood pressure, and then she passes out....but without the odor of alcohol.

Vicky was 19 when she came up pregnant - she had no physical signals of rape, she woke up in her own bed and therefore had no reason to be concerned. She assumes that she had too much to drink although she doesn't remember the previous night's events; she thought a friend must have helped get her safely home. She was shocked to discover 2 months later that she was pregnant. I hadn't had sex for over a year, and bought three pregnancy tests before going to a clinic for a blood test. She chose to keep and raise her child with the help of her family. In here words "having the baby bought peace and healing to my life"

Alcohol and Rohypnol combination is intensified and very hazardous together. If a woman is drinking alcohol when the drug is slipped in her drink, the combination of, their effects on her memory and judgment are greatly impaired. A woman who become intoxicated on a combination of alcohol and Rohypnol often experience "blackouts" lasting eight to twenty-four hours following ingestion making her unable to resist a sexual attack. If combined with other drugs the results may lead to respiratory depression, aspiration, coma and even death. Possession of Rohypnol is punishable for up to three years in prison and a fine. Distribution and administration of this rape drug without the person's knowledge is punishable by twenty years in prison and a fine.

By taking the preventive measures to protect yourself, your friends, you can avoid becoming potential victims. Print this article out and give it to friends you know it may save their lives.

Besides the worries of unprotected sex, sexually transmitted diseases she .

Your best defense against rapists and rape drugs is awareness.

Here are a few helpful tips for staying aware, alert and safe:

" Be careful about accepting drinks from anyone you don't know well or long enough to trust. The best choice not to let anyone fix you a drink, Offer to mix the drink yourself. Carry the drink yourself.

" Don't share or exchange drinks with anyone.

" If you are accepting a drink, make sure it's from an unopened container and that you open it yourself.

" Never accept drinks from individuals you do not know and trust

" Do not drink from open containers at parties and accept drinks only from bartenders or servers, watch them open the can or pour- don't be distracted by conversation.

" If dancing, don't leave your drinks unattended. If you realize your drink has been left unattended, toss it out.

" Consider buying a specially designed drug testing coaster- see below to test your drink for the drug. They are low-cost and a smart choice

" Remember any kind of beverage can be drugged- there is no taste or smell.

" If possible bring your own drinks to parties when possible, Don't drink from a container that is being passed around

" If your drink tastes or looks differently than it should or tastes "funny" or salty, foamy, cloudy, or if it has residue in it throw it away

" Don't go to parties alone; travel in a group of people and stick together at a party. Look out not only for yourself, but keep an eye on your female friends.

" A really good idea is to not let your friends get too drunk or wasted. If they do party intensely, take them home, staying with them to make sure they are all right before leaving.

" Don't let your friend disappear and don't let them wander off with a member of the opposite sex, stay by their side. Don't leave with someone you do not know well or have just met.

" Don't put your drink down and leave it unattended, even to go to the restroom. Monitor your drink constantly.

" Refuse to drink from a punchbowl; this is a place where anything can be dropped in.

" Stay sober. Don't use drugs or alcohol; you need to have a clear head at all times.

" Assign a designated sober person when going out.

" Notify other female friends you know about the effects of this dangerous drug.

" Be observant to the behaviors and actions of your friends, trust your instincts.

" Listen for the street names of the drugs mentioned above.

" Keep a cell phone with you and charged up in the event you have a problem and need help.

Remember You Did Not Deserve What Happened To You

And the Assault Was Not Your Fault.

" If you think that you have been a victim, notify the authorities immediately if you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you can file a police report.

" Get immediate medical attention. Call 911 or go to an emergency room. Request that a urine sample be taken to screen for the presence of date rape drugs.

" Preserve as much physical evidence as possible. Don't urinate, shower, bathe, douche, or throw away the clothing you were wearing during the assault. If possible, save any other materials that might provide evidence, such as the glass or can that held your drink.

" Call a crisis rape center for information and support.

All women are potential victims of sexual assault: regardless of there age, race, sexual preference, occupation or education. A woman can be assaulted by a stranger, by a friend, by an acquaintance, co-worker or relative.

Q. How will I feel after an assault?

There is no "correct" way to feel after an assault. Be aware that different people need to heal in their own ways. Some women may need to talk about the assault a number of times to heal; in working through a difficult experience- reliving the violation. Seeking a professional familiar with date rape can make a big difference in recovery.

Some women find their faith in God may be strained but find strength in keeping their faith and attending church or synagogue helpful. Other women find the answer may be involvement in activities to help forget. Then when they are better able to handle the facts and face them can they find peace to work through the pain.

Finding a qualified rape counselor or participating in a closed group counseling with other women, who understand what you are going through can be healing in itself. Many women who have been victims of the date rape drug have some or all of the following reactions:

" Anger and frustration

" Disbelief and Denial

" Guilt/ Self Blame

" Helplessness/ Confused

" Avoidance of Friends

" Feeling Paranoid

" Difficulty in Concentrating

" Change in Sleep Patterns

" Sexual Disinterest Or Change in Sexual Behavior

" Can't Stop Crying Or Can't Cry

" Inability To Cope With Ordinary Situations

" Problems With Trust

" Depression

" Frenzied involved in their Work

" Low Self-Esteem

" Reoccurring Nightmares

" Changed Alcohol Or Drug use

" Wanting To Forget, Escape OR never get out Of Bed

" Eating Everything Or Nothing At All

As you work through the healing process, keep these suggestions in mind:

" It is not your fault - you are not responsible for the unwanted sex.

" You are not the guilty party.

" Some people may try to make you feel responsible for what happened because of their own feelings of vulnerability or guilt.

" That you may have been intoxicated does not give anyone the right to assault you - nothing gives anyone that right.

" Acquaintance rape happens because the rapist fails to respect the victim's individual will, not because of irresistible arousal.

" A rapist acts without regard for the victim, so saying no or even physically resisting cannot always be enough to prevent the assault.

How to Help a Friend Who Has Been Assaulted.

" Let her make decisions. Offer to make phone calls for information, but don't take over for her. She has just had control taken away and needs to regain it.

" Don't touch her without first asking permission. Say, for example, "Would you like a hug?" or "Would you like to hold my hand?" A caring touch can help the victim but unwanted touching can be very uncomfortable or even threatening.

" Don't blame her. Questions like "Why did you go home with him?" What were you thinking of? Will only reinforce her sense of guilt or shame.

" Let her know she is safe, and that you won't violate her trust.

" Try to deal with your own reactions to the circumstances later. You may feel angry, helpless, confused, or violated yourself. Keep in mind that your friend probably feels all that and more, so seeing your reactions may not help her. Try to focus on her feelings. Later, when her immediate necessities are taken care, is the best time for you to take care of yourself and seek out a counselor. A sexual assault can be distressing for friends, land family members, as well.

Drug testing drink coaster Singles bars have never been risk free, but so-called date-rape drugs give you one more reason to be cautious. After a friend was attacked by a man who may have spiked her drink, Francisco Guerra developed a cardboard drink coaster that can identify two of the most popular date-rape drugs: gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB) and ketamine. Just place a drop of liquid on the coaster, and rub it in with your finger. If the spot turns blue, toss that cocktail. Fifteen million of these coasters have already been distributed; look for them at 7-Elevens

http://www.drinksafetech.com/ about 40 a coaster

More helpful Resources . . .

National Institute on Drug Abuse

Phone: (888) NIH-NIDA

http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDAHome1.html

Rape recovery site

http://www.come.to/raperecovery

American Council for Drug Education

Phone: (800) 488-3784

http://www.acde.org

Hope for Healing

http://www.hopeforhealing.org/

Support for people conceived through rape and incest.

http://www.stigmatized.org

American Society of Addiction Medicine

Phone: (301) 656-3920

http://www.asam.org

Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse

Phone: (401) 444-1817

http://www.amersa.org

National Institute on Drug Abuse (Rohypnol and GHB)

http://165.112.78.61/Infofax/RohypnolGHB.html

State Directory for Offices of Victim Services

US Department of Justice

For assistance in accessing local Victim Services:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/help/state.htm

includes a clickable US State Map

About the author

Mardie Caldwell, C.O.A.P. is the founder of http://www.LifetimeAdoption.com. An award-winning author of http://www.AdoptingOnline.com and http://www.adoptionstepbystep.com and a radio talk show host of http://www.letstalkadoption.com with Mardie Caldwell.
Out of Control by:Ken Mossman Adolescent Obesity - The Blame Game by:Steve Ruprecht Freeware Games: Get Your Games For Free! by:Aiden Zapora Freeware Games And How To Find Them. by:Aiden Zapora All About Cubby House and their Safety by:Angela Camardi How Long Working Teens Should Keep That First Job by:Barry Mcgee Prom Jewelry Fit for a Princess by:Sandy Darson The Best Teen Celebrity News Source by:Darian Demetri Back-to-the-Basics with Back-to-School Organization by:Colette Robicheau Tips to Teens for clearing Florida Permit Exam by:Mark H. Spitz Leading Cause of Death for Teenagers by:Elaine Futrell Violence And Video Games by:Denard King Are You Ready For Prom - The Ultimate Checklist by:Robby Tsin
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(54.197.64.207) / Processed in 0.029760 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 248 , 22618, 956,