Insurances.net
insurances.net » Baby Insurance » The Disturbing Epidemic Of Newborns Addicted To Drugs
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

The Disturbing Epidemic Of Newborns Addicted To Drugs

The Disturbing Epidemic Of Newborns Addicted To Drugs

Infants being born addicted to drugs and pain killers is an alarmingly increasing epidemic

. As much as 25% of newborns in intensive care units in some areas are reportedly being treated for drug withdrawals.

Due to this disturbing increase, The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recently published guidelines for identifying and treating infants born with addictions to pain killers and other drugs. The guidelines are helping physicians and hospitals across the country better respond to this epidemic. The epidemic follows an increase in the use and abuse of opioid pain killers in the U.S., which unfortunately includes pregnant women. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has identified the abuse (non-medical use) of opioid painkillers as an epidemic that has been building in the last five years. Pregnant women who abuse opioid painkillers or use illegal drugs during pregnancy are passing along the addiction and related health risks to their unborn child in the womb. This fetal drug exposure results in many infants being born with drug addictions, which if severe enough can be fatal to the newborn.

Neonatal intensive care units are putting policies in place based on the AAP guidelines to help them screen mothers and children for drug addiction. Testing of the infant can be done using the babys urine and meconium. Infants who exhibit excessive irritability, tremors, vomiting, and shrill crying may be tested for drug withdrawals. If drugs are found in the childs system, the first courses of action recommended by the guidelines are non-pharmaceutical responses. Such treatment may consist of swaddling, soothing rocking treatments, and reducing light and noises that can overstimulate the infant. If these interventions do not provide appropriate support to aid the withdrawal process, pharmaceuticals may be prescribed for the infant. This is usually done if the physician is concerned about fever, weight loss, or seizures in the child.

Any woman who becomes pregnant while addicted to painkillers or other drugs should seek immediate professional treatment under the supervision of an experienced drug and alcohol rehabilitation center. This is crucial, not only for the health of her baby, but for her own health. Drug abuse is damaging to the health of the mother and can cause permanent health problems for her child including birth defects and developmentaland behavioral problems.The Disturbing Epidemic Of Newborns Addicted To Drugs

Sources

Hudak ML, Tan RC; COMMITTEE ON DRUGS; COMMITTEE ON FETUS AND NEWBORN; American Academy of Pediatrics.Neonatal Drug Withdrawal. Pediatrics. 2012 Feb;129(2):e540-60. Epub 2012 Jan 30.

by: Larry A Burns
# 2 I recently tried cbd creams in search the blue ribbon prematurely and was pleasantly surprised by the results. Initially skeptical, I create that it significantly helped with my desire and be in the land of nod issues without any unconcealed side effects. The fuel was unoppressive to use, with nitid dosage instructions. It had a merciful, shameless leaning that was not unpleasant. Within a week, I noticed a marked convalescence in my blanket well-being, feeling more relaxed and rested. I cognizant the ingenuous approximate to wellness CBD offers and representation to pursue using it.   2024-2-20 02:48  reply
# 3 I recently tried CBD gummies from this website cbd thc oil for the first time and was pleasantly surprised past the results. Initially skeptical, I initiate that it significantly helped with my dread and slumber issues without any notable side effects. The grease was serene to speak, with clear dosage instructions. It had a kindly, earthy grain that was not unpleasant. Within a week, I noticed a decided convalescence in my overall well-being, ardour more blas‚ and rested. I cognizant the regular technique to wellness CBD offers and aim to continue using it.   2024-3-29 15:45  reply
Wrapping In More Comfort With Organic Baby Blankets Baby Jogger Performance Series Double Is Excellent For Enthusiastic Joggers Why A Digital Baby Monitor Is Key For Your Baby Show Off Your Baby Bling Baby Clothes And Kids Clothing How To Keep Your Baby Healthy During Pregnancy At Age 35 And Above How Baby Poo And Wee Changes Tips On Having A Great Baby Shower Dealing With Birth Injury Suits And Finding A Lawyer To Help Guide To Buying Baby And Toddler Shoes Baby Making - It's Important To Think Long Term Baby Bedroom Decor Great Ideas for a Baby Nursery Room
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.227.48.131) Tehran / Tehran Processed in 0.011694 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 12 , 2681, 957,
Tehran