» Accident Insurance » Car Accidents FAQ by:Mark Dacanay

Car Accidents FAQ by:Mark Dacanay

Car Accidents FAQ by:Mark Dacanay

Most motorists forget to keep a level head when involved in a car accident

. Panic and frustration are a common emotion at the scene because no one knows what to do.

To avoid panic, here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions about car accidents.

FAQ About Car Accidents

"What do I do right after the accident?"

The best course of action is to stop the car, turn the engine off, and check yourself and the passengers for injuries.

If you have a mobile phone, call 911 and tell the operator about the car accident. You should tell the operator if there are injured parties as well so that paramedics and rescuers can be sent.

Do not leave the accident unless authorities have cleared you to go. Otherwise, you can be prosecuted for walking away from the accident.

"What information from the accident should I remember?"

You should take all the information that you can. Take note of the location, the weather and road condition during the accident. You should also get the color, model and plate numbers of the cars involved.

If possible, get the name and contact details of the other driver/s as well. If you can, you should also ask of their insurance company and insurance policy.

You should also talk to witnesses and get their contact details. If you need them to support your statements later on it will be much easier to find them.

If you have a camera available, take pictures of the scene from different angles. Include tire skid marks in the photos as it could prove to be a big evidence for the case.

"If the car accident is minor, should I still file a police report?"

To be on the safe side, you should still file for a police report. If you are going to file a claim with your insurance company, the police report will be of big help.

"Should I see a doctor?"

Right after a car accident, it is important that you see a doctor. You may have suffered injuries that are not visible which can only be determined through series of tests. You should tell the doctor everything you are feeling even if you feel it is unrelated to the accident. Dry mouth, dizziness, nausea may not seem to be caused by the accident but it may be symptoms of a more serious injury.

It will also be beneficial to your personal injury case. A doctor's report can be presented as evidence to show the extent of the injuries you sustained.

Furthermore, not consulting with a doctor can be used by insurance companies to prove that your injuries are not as serious as you claim. They will argue that if your injuries were as bad as you say then you should have needed medical treatment.

"Should I contact my insurance company?"

Yes. Most insurance companies require their plan holders to report a car accident as soon as they can. But be careful about making statements or agreeing to anything. Most insurance companies will use incriminating statements to avoid paying your claim.

Insurance companies of the other drivers may also try to contact you to get you to agree to certain statement. Politely decline and never talk to them about the accident without your lawyer

Should I contact a lawyer?

Yes. It is important that you contact a lawyer especially if you are injured in the car accident. If you are planning to file a personal injury case, you will also be going against the insurance company and they will have lawyers to defend their own side.

About the author

Visit our website at for more reliable information on FAQs about car accidents. Call us toll free for legal assistance.

Article Source: guest:  register | login | search     IP( / Processed in 0.017091 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 54 , 3935, 974,
Car Accidents FAQ by:Mark Dacanay