Insurances.net
insurances.net » Auto Insurance » Breaking the Stereotypes of Traumatic Brain Injury
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Breaking the Stereotypes of Traumatic Brain Injury

It's amazing how things can change.

I have been a licensed real estate broker associate. I ran for city council in 2005. I have always been confident in myself as a man and in my own ability to pursue my dreams and succeed.Breaking the Stereotypes of Traumatic Brain Injury

On August 24, 2008, as owner and operator of my own tree service, I fell forty feet to the ground while trimming limbs from a tree. I am now learning to live with Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI.

My life has been changed forever.

After being airlifted to University of Iowa, I lost a kidney, my spleen and part of my liver. I remained in a medically induced coma for the better part of two months, and subsequently had to learn everything from speaking to driving, over again.

It has been two years since the accident; the journey is slow. Sometimes I laugh. When I feel like crying I cannot. I find myself alternating between frustration, anger, depression and extreme anxiety. People I have known my entire life are now uncomfortable with the "new" Kenny. They all but ignore me at social functions due to changes in my speech and motor skills. My confidence has been shaken, and I have been humbled.

Like I said, it's amazing how things can change.

Recently I have had the opportunity to become involved with the Midwest Advocacy Project, or MAP. We are a group that meets approximately once a month to pool our personal experiences, resources and information for a study being conducted by the Mayo Clinic in conjunction with the University of Iowa, on TBI. Three hundred people are taking part in this study throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Missouri.

It is our mission at MAP to provide information regarding TBI, with new advocacy programs, mentoring and support groups to those who are living with and adjusting to TBI, as well as their families, friends and acquaintances. We are working to develop ways to educate the public, the medical community, insurance companies, case managers and government officials, including the Social Security Administration, about TBI, thereby eliminating the stereotypes and providing us with the means and support needed to live normal, happy lives.

Once you are considered "slow", you are labeled for the rest of your life.

You see, there is life "before" the accident and life "now". We relate everything in terms of that mindset. Yet we are not new people without an identity. We are not victims; we can be happy, we can go on. It is our goal to learn and to teach, to hold the hands of all parties involved with the TBI patient, including the patient themselves.

I'll say it once again: It's amazing how things can change.
Car Insurance - A Must Comparing Low Cost Auto Insurance the Smart Way: West Virginia MI Dodge Dealers Hear Rumor about Renaming of Dodge Ram, MI Auto Times Announces Auto Glass Installation Safety Standards to Follow in Windshield Replacement Injury Claim And How To Figure Out You Have A Case Injury Claim And How To Verify You Have A Claim Car Rental - Essential Tips Crane Trucks – Boost Your Business By Performing Incredible Tasks With Them Teenage Car Insurance - The Key Reason Why It's Necessary To Acquire Teenager Automobile Insurance Policy How to get the best from your online car insurance? How To Lower Your Car Insurance Costs Once And For All! Car Insurance Digger Derrick Trucks and Altec Bucket Trucks – Business of Trucks
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.15.221.136) / Processed in 0.012774 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 26 , 2856, 952,