Insurances.net
insurances.net » Others » Why Prepare Systematically To Deliver A Few Checks? (chapel 2)
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Why Prepare Systematically To Deliver A Few Checks? (chapel 2)

Why Prepare Systematically To Deliver A Few Checks? (chapel 2)

"Yes sun?""I'm from the district relief station on Prairie Avenue

. I'm looking for a man named Gulliver Green to give him his check. Do you know him?"No, she didn't; but he thought she had not understood anything of what he had said. She had a dream-bound, dream-blind face, very soft and black, shut off. She wore a man's jacket and pulled the ends together at her throat. Her hair was parted in three directions, at the sides and transversely, standing up at the front in a dull puff."Is there somebody around here who might know?""I just have taken this room last week."He observed that she shivered, but even her shiver was somnambulistic and there was no sharp consciousness of cold in the big smooth eyes of her handsome face."All right, miss, thank you. Thanks," he said, and went to try another place. GHD Hair Straightener

Here he was admitted. He was grateful, for the room was warm. It was full of people, and they were silent as he entered ten people, or a dozen, perhaps more, sitting on benches like a parliament. There was no light, properly speaking, but a tempered darkness that the window gave, and everyone seemed to him enormous, the men padded out in heavy work clothes and winter coats, and the women huge, too, in thick sweaters, hats, and old furs. And, besides, bed and bedding, a black cooking range, a piano piled towering to the ceiling with papers, a dining-room table of the old style of prosperous Chicago. Among these people Grebe, with his cold-heightened fresh color and his smaller stature, entered like a schoolboy. Even though he was met with smiles and good will, he knew, before a single word was spoken, that all the currents ran against him and that he would make no headway. Nevertheless he began. "Does anybody here know how I can deliver a check to Mr. Gulliver Green?""Green?" It was the man that had let him in who answered. GHD Hair

Entered it strongly from his forehead. "I never heard mention of him. Is this where he live?"

"This is the address they gave me at the station. He's a sick man, and he'll need his check. Can't anybody tell me where to find him?"He stood his ground and waited for a reply, his crimson wool scarf wound about his neck and drooping outside his trench coat, pockets weighted with the block of checks and official forms. They must have realized that he was not a college boy employed afternoons by a bill collector, trying foxily to pass for a relief clerk, recognized that he was an older man who knew himself what need was, who had had more than an average seasoning in hardship. It was evident enough if you looked at the marks under his eyes and at the sides of his mouth."Anybody know this sick man?""No sun." On all sides he saw heads shaken and smiles of denial. No one knew. And maybe it was true, he considered, standing silent in the earthen, musky human gloom of the place as the rumble continued. But he could never really be sure."What's the matter with this man?" said shako-head."I've never seen him. All I can tell you is that he can't come in person for his money. It's my first day in this district.""Maybe they give you the wrong number?""I don't believe so. But where else can I ask about him?" He felt that this persistence amused them deeply, and in a way he shared their amusement that he should stand up so tenaciously to them. Though smaller, though slight, he was his own man, he retracted nothing about himself, and he looked back at them, gray-eyed, with amusement and also with a sort of courage. On the bench some man spoke in his throat, the words impossible to catch, and a woman answered with a wild, shrieking laugh, which was quickly cut off."Well, so nobody will tell me?""Ians anybody who knows?""At least, if he lives here, he pays rent to someone. Who manages the building?""Grantham Company. That's on Thirty-Ninth Street."

Grebe wrote it in his pad. But, in the street again, a sheet of wind-driven paper clinging to his leg while he deliberated what direction to take next, it seemed a feeble lead to follow. Probably this Green didn't rent a flat, but a room. Sometimes there were as many as twenty people in an apartment; the real-estate agent would know only the lessee. And not even the agent could tell you who the renters were. In some places the beds were even used in shifts, watchmen or jitney drivers or short-order cooks in night joints turning out after a day's sleep and surrendering their beds to a sister, a nephew, or perhaps a stranger, just off the bus. There were large numbers of newcomers in this terrific, blight-bitten portion of the city between Cottage Grove and Ashland, wandering from house to house and room to room. When you saw them, how could you know them? They didn't carry bundles on their backs or look picturesque. You only saw a man, a Negro, walking in the street or riding in the car, like everyone else, with his thumb closed on a transfer. And therefore how were you supposed to tell? Grebe thought the Greatham agent would only laugh at his question.

by: endeavor03
My Wife Wants a Divorce - Here's How to Change Her Mind and Win Her Back Are There Risks When Investing In Penny Stocks? Corporate Removals to Ireland Presto 23 Quart Pressure Canner Review - A Useful and Versatile Cooking Piece Choosing wedding dress Ranch Holiday The Dangers Of Selling Kids' Information Online Best Parenting Books To Give You A Hand In Raising Your Young Katrina Kaif is Sexiest Asian Woman in the World Luxury Kids Clothes In London Current Code For The Busy Bodies Instant Loans: Remarkable And Quick Monetary Assistance Vegetarian Weight Loss Tips For Women - How To Lose Belly Fat Fast Proper Diet System Takes Into Account Liquids
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.94.150.98) Connecticut / Fairfield Processed in 0.013673 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 10 , 5331, 975,
Why Prepare Systematically To Deliver A Few Checks? (chapel 2) Fairfield