Insurances.net
insurances.net » Personal Insurance » My First Aa Meeting - A Personal Story
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

My First Aa Meeting - A Personal Story

This is Davids story about attending his first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

Ten oclock in the evening on a Wednesday. Not exactly prime drinking time, but close enough. Instead of enjoying the first of many beers at one of my steady hang-outs, I found myself trying to find the parking lot at an ancient, castle-like church, one of those Catholic monstrosities they quit building in the 1950s. I was twenty minutes and fifteen miles from home in a town I dont frequent. I had arrived for my very first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. And I was scared.

Does anyone want to be here?

I certainly didnt.My First Aa Meeting - A Personal Story

I went on the advice of my attorney. He told me that attending 90 meetings in 90 days would go a long way toward keeping me out of jail. I was facing my second DUI within two years, and after getting slammed by the first, I understood it was going to take some effort to convince a judge I wouldnt simply repeat the behavior. I had a sheet to record the meetings I attended and spots for someone to sign to prove I was there at each one.

After finding a postage-stamp sized parking lot in the back, I made my way to the basement. There wasnt a sign for the meeting and I wandered a bit to find a room with any activity. At first, looking through the door, I didnt think it was the right place. The room was obviously a nursery or kindergarten there were alphabets and colorful cartoon characters on the wall. But a second glance at the chairs and the dozen or so people in there convinced me.

These were the faces of people I knew from bars. Not people I actually knew, but the same tired look, the same downcast eyes. My immediate thought was, Im not like these schmucks Im better than these losers.

Im not an Alcoholic

The meeting was slow to start, so I made a cup of coffee, although I didnt have any change for the little contribution cup next to the pot. Having the coffee to sip gave me something to do. I wondered if they ever made an Irish version of the coffee and thought that a drink now would do wonders for my nerves. Instead, I sat with eyes downward, looking at my attendance record sheet, wondering who would sign it for me, and how long this meeting would last.

Someone in the front row finally stood up and said, My names Mike, and Im an alcoholic. The group responded with a less-than-enthusiastic, Hi, Mike.

Mike, it turned out, was running the meeting, although in a very loose fashion. Im sure they recognized I was the new guy, because they started going around the room for introductions. Hi, Im so-and-so and Im an alcoholic Hi, so-and-so.

When it got to me, I just said, My names Dave without the alcoholic part. No one seemed to care much and they dutifully said, Hi, Dave.

Getting it

From there, the meeting seemed fairly structured. They passed me a copy of the Big Book and we took turns reading from what turned out to be step one, although I didnt know it at the time. That was followed by the most powerful thing Ive experienced in a long while.

Several of the members just started telling stories about themselves, their lives and the impact of alcohol. I was prepared to be preached to, and the reading from the book had come across just that way. But suddenly, in turns, real people started spilling the beans. They werent complaining and they didnt sound like they really wanted anything other than to tell their story. And those stories hit me hard.

There was a guy younger than me who had gotten his third DUI before he was 23. Hed lost a great internship and had to quit college. There was a woman who was struggling to get back her kids now that she was out of jail. There was a businessman whod gone bankrupt because of alcohol and gambling. And more.

By the time they got to me, Id already heard some people say, Pass and I did too. But as others spoke, I couldnt escape how much their stories were my story. The time I blacked out in my car and woke up in a field, not knowing where I was or how I got there. Treating my hangover with a few drinks before work to get straight. And much more.

There was no denying the truth on offer. And no denying they were speaking, at least in part, for me describing my life in little swatches of theirs.

Closing

After about an hour, Mike asked if anyone else wanted to speak and looked at me. I chickened out, looking away, so he said we would end in prayer. The group said the Serenity Prayer in unison. The guy next to me opened the Big Book to the right page so I could read along.

The meeting kind of dissolved from there. I was a little shaken and sat a bit, not wanting to see any of these people in the parking lot. The guy next to me told me he was glad I came and shook my hand. I didnt say anything. By this time, they were putting the chairs way, so I threw out my empty cup and made to leave.

Mike tapped me on the shoulder.

You want me to sign your sheet?

Yeah, sure. Thanks. I had forgotten all about it.

He filled out the first line with the groups name, the date and time, and signed it. It was pretty obvious this was my first meeting, since the rest of the sheet was blank.

I asked him where to put the book I had been using.

Keep it. Its yours. Bring it with you next time you come.

Well, I didnt make 90 meetings in 90 days. It took me longer than three months. But I did come back and Ive attended meetings held by other groups since. Lots of them. I bring my copy of the Big Book and Ill keep bringing it until I find another first-timer I can give it to.

And when that happens, the person who gets it will find the same thing I did. On the front fly leaf theres a list of first names with years next to them. Ten in all, going back to 1980.

I added, Dave 2012.

Related Content

AA May Alleviate Depression

Ice Breakers for Alcoholics and Addicts in TreatmentMy First Aa Meeting - A Personal Story

Alcohol Abuse vs Alcoholism

The Best Way to Stop Alcohol Addiction

For more information on drug and alcohol addiction and recovery, go to MyAddiction.com

by: erikrss
Are You Interested In Personal Car Lease Packages? Personalizar O Celular Em Vrias Etapas, Aprenda Como Providence Personal Injury Lawyer: What Is My Case Worth? Why You Need To Use A Personal Injury Lawyer Personal Injury Lawyer Palm Springs Seeking Justice The Benefits Of Personalised Canvas Arts Personal Injury Claims, Prospects Of Claiming In A Simple Way Importance Of Accident Insurance On Personal Matters Why Personal Reputation Management Is Important How To Create Positive Personal Impact? Auto Training Schools: A Program For Every Personality Operations Gone Wrong - Get A Personal Injury Lawyer Defective Products Ruin Lives - Get A Personal Injury Lawyer
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.84.110.120) / Processed in 0.015264 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 72 , 6262, 967,