Insurances.net
insurances.net » Auto Insurance » Hunt Horses And The Risk Of Injury
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Hunt Horses And The Risk Of Injury

Hunt Horses And The Risk Of Injury

The horse is an elite athlete and many of their natural characteristics can be harnessed for performance in sporting activities

. National Hunt Racing incorporates many of the horse's natural physical abilities including speed, stamina and the ability to jump. The races are run over longer distances than flat races; up to 4 miles, requiring the horse to have more stamina but a lower average speed. National Hunt races include a jumping element. This significantly increases the chance of injury. Injuries sustained by National Hunt horses are more commonly soft tissue e.g. tendon injuries, rather than that of fractures involving the distal forelimb that are frequently seen in flat racing. Injuries to tendenous structures of the distal limb can have a profound influence on future careers of athletic horses (Jones; 1989).

The distal structures within the limb are subject to tremendous amounts of strain when participating in National Hunt races. The horse will be running at an average speed of between 11 and 14m/s and with the additional jumping element the extension that is required of the soft tissues within this area is immense. The superficial digital flexor tendon is vulnerable and a common site of injury due to its situation and the role it has to perform.

Superficial digital flexor tendinitis is swelling of this tendon. A major pre-disposing factor causing tendinitis is repeated strenuous exercise e.g. galloping, resulting in over stretching, overloading and causing damage. A sudden excessive overloading of the tendon due to uneven footing can also cause damage. It is the centre of the tendon that is usually weakened and affected. Fatigue and weakness within distal limb, can cause hyperextension of the fetlock joint which can also predispose a horse to tendinitis. This highlights the importance of fitness levels within the competing horse.

Tendon damage can vary in severity, but will in any case, jeopardise the performance of the horse. Superficial digital flexor tendinitis is a potentially career limiting injury, with a high incidence of reinjury. (Genovese et al. 1996; Palmer et al. 1994; Yovich et al. 1995) Initial treatment and follow up rehabilitation can often determine the future prospects for the injured horse.

by: Tammy Patterson
Using Promotional Clothing Is A Good Idea Because Of It's Popularity Ed Bagley's Top 25 Poll - Week 12 - Two Favorites Win Big From My Experience It's Hurt To Get Your Ex Back It's Traumatic To Want Getting Over Ex It's Impossible To Get My Wife Back From My Experience It's Hurt To Get Over A Breakup From My Experience It's Hurt Getting My Ex Back It's Traumatic To Want To Get Over Ex Wife It's Over You Can't Jealousy Over Ex From My Experience It's Hurt To Get Over Jealousy Why You Don't Want To Get Over Ex Don't Use Bottled Water - Use A Dispenser It's Impossible To Get Over Heartache
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.117.107.90) Georgia / Atlanta Processed in 0.011622 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 8 , 2346, 952,
Hunt Horses And The Risk Of Injury Atlanta