Insurances.net
insurances.net » Pet Insurance » How to Cope With Losing a Pet
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

How to Cope With Losing a Pet

Over the last ten years, I've lost three cats, and I've helped many clients through pet loss during the years I worked in veterinary clinics. As a result, I'm often asked how to cope with losing a pet.

Different things work for different people. Each situation is unique. Was the death sudden? Did it come after a prolonged illness? Was it the first time the person experienced losing a pet? I share my own experience of dealing with pet loss and grief in my book, and maybe my readers will find some commonalities with what I went through. Even though no two people will deal with pet loss in exactly the same way, I've found some common things that can help ease the pain at least a little.

Acknowledge that losing a pet is a very difficult experience. Many people, especially people who don't have pets, don't realize that losing a pet can often be far more difficult than losing a person. Many of us view our pets as children, especially if we don't have children of our own. For most pet owners, losing a pet is very much like losing a child. Don't let anyone tell you that you should "get over it," "it was only an animal," or, even worse, "you can always get another one." Expect to feel the same emotions you would feel after a person close to you dies. In Elizabeth Kuebler Ross' model, the five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and eventually acceptance. Expect that some of these stages may be magnified after losing a pet.How to Cope With Losing a Pet

Mark the pet's passing with some sort of ritual. It's important to acknowledge that your pet is gone. A ritual can be something as elaborate as a memorial service and burial ceremony, or something as simple as lighting a candle in your pet's memory each night for a little while.

Find supportive family and friends. Not everyone in your life will be able to handle your grief. It's important that you find people who are comfortable with being supportive, can handle letting you cry, listen while you talk about your pet, or who can just quietly sit with you. Many people don't know what to do or say when faced with someone who is grieving, so, afraid of saying the wrong thing, they don't say anything at all. This can make you feel even more isolated during a difficult time. Try not to judge people for their inability to handle your grief, and spend more time with those who can.How to Cope With Losing a Pet

Allow yourself time to grieve. There is no way around grief - the only way to deal with grief is to move through it. If you try to ignore it, it will catch up with you when you least expect it. You may need to spend an afternoon or an evening crying. You may not want to distract yourself all the time. While it's not healthy to get stuck in your grief, pretending that nothing is wrong is equally unhealthy. Try and find a balance.

Find things that comfort you. Whether it's a walk, music, a favorite book, looking at photos of your pet, or a perfect cup of tea, find small things that provide comfort for you.

Getting over the loss of a pet takes time, and it takes being gentle with yourself. If you find that you simply can't cope, and that even supportive family members or friends aren't enough to help you get through this difficult time, consider getting professional help. And know that even though it seems hard to believe when you're in the middle of grieving the loss of an animal friend, there is truth to the old adage that time heals all wounds. It does get a little bit easier as time goes on, and one day, upon waking up in the morning, instead of your first thought being about your pet being gone, you'll find yourself remembering something wonderful about your departed friend.

Ingrid King is the author of "Buckley's Story - Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher." She is a former veterinary hospital manager turned writer, and publisher of the E-zine "News for You and Your Pet," covering topics ranging from conscious living to holistic and alternative health. She shares her experiences with consciously creating a joyful, happy and healthy life for pets and people on her popular blog, The Conscious Cat. For more information about Ingrid, visit http://www.ingridking.com
Knowing How To Curb Appetite Appetite Suppressants That Work - What You Need To Know Anatolian Shepherd Dog Implications Of International Student Insurance Pet Insurance Can Be Fashionable Dog Walking Is Not Just Walking With Dog Saint-petersburg, Russia-explore This Incredible City Of Russia Shadow Puppet -- What An Excellent Art How Can I Control My Appetite? How Do You Choose Which Pet Insurance Is Best? Taking Your Pit Bull Terrier On A Plane Your Pit Bull Terrier Needs Regular Health Check Ups Controlling Your Pet's Fleas - Be Prepared!
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.144.42.196) / Processed in 0.014444 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 4370, 969,