Insurances.net
insurances.net » Pet Insurance » Distemper In Dogs: What Ever Dog Owner Should Know
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Distemper In Dogs: What Ever Dog Owner Should Know

Distemper In Dogs: What Ever Dog Owner Should Know

Canine distemper is a disease that frightens many dog owners

, and with good reason as it is contagious, incurable, and often fatal. This multi-systemic viral disease affects the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and central nervous systems. It is caused by the canine distemper virus, a paramyxovirus similar to the virus that causes measles in humans.

The canine distemper virus (or CDV) can be transmitted through the air, or through bodily fluids such as urine. Dogs that show symptoms should be treated straight away, and once the veterinary diagnosis confirms CDV, quarantined immediately.

CDV affects dogs of all ages but is particularly dangerous to puppies aged 3-6 months. A preventative vaccine may lessen the risk, so it is important that your puppy gets this. It is usually included is the core puppy shots, but ask your vet, to be sure.

What makes CDV such a deadly disease is that it attacks multiple body systems at once. A dog that contracts the virus will display several symptoms including, discharge from eyes and nose, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, convulsions and seizures. Left untreated the disease will ultimately cause heart and respiratory system failure.Distemper In Dogs: What Ever Dog Owner Should Know

In many cases, not all of these symptoms will be present. Often the dog will only cough and this can lead to distemper sometimes being misdiagnosed as kennel cough.

The dog may also develop pneumonia and it is not uncommon for dogs that recover from distemper to suffer severe damage to the tooth enamel and a thickening of the footpads and the nose. Quite often there is also irreparable damage to the vision and nervous system.

If your vet suspects that your dog may have canine distemper he will run a number of tests including an analysis of urine, cerebrospinal fluid, and blood. A skin biospy may also be neccesary to confirm the presence of CDV.

If the tests confirm that the virus is present, intravenous fluids will immediately be administered to offset dehydration. Anti-seizure medication may also be given if neurologic signs are present.

Distemper is one of the most deadly canine diseases and can spread rapidly, taking a heavy toll on unvaccinated dogs. Not all dogs will die from it, but many will and it is particularly deadly to puppies and older dogs.

There is no known cure for canine distemper, but a number of new vaccines may be available in the near future. Hopefully, these will play a significant part in wiping out, or at least reducing the incidence of, this dreaded disease.

by: Gary Walker
# 2 I recently tried cbd to sleep gummies after the prime time and was pleasantly surprised next to the results. Initially skeptical, I initiate that it significantly helped with my dread and be in the land of nod issues without any remarkable side effects. The fuel was serene to put to use, with legible dosage instructions. It had a kindly, earthy leaning that was not unpleasant. Within a week, I noticed a signal convalescence in my blanket well-being, feeling more serene and rested. I cognizant the unstudied technique to wellness CBD offers and plan to pursue using it.   2024-2-20 03:12  reply
Usa Made Mastiff Dog Beds 12 Practical Tips For Dog Owners Gps Dog Collar - The Best Way To Track Your Hunting Dog Invest In Effective Ecommerce Solutions For The Much Needed Competitive Edge Perpetual Traffic Formula - Easy Way Of Success Reflective Tape - Tips To Keep Kids Safe At Halloween Conrad Bali Launches Creative "beyond Infinity" Wedding Competition 5 Basic Insurance Categories For Your Insurance Needs Doggie Lack Of Control Difficulties Come From A Variety Of Causes Doing Competitive Business With Brochure Printing And Branding Is A Big Dog Right For You? How Important Is Pet Insurance? by:John Uy Plastic Dog Kennels For Large Dogs
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.135.198.49) / Processed in 0.011914 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 20 , 2610, 969,