Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Developing Emotional Intelligence In Children
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Developing Emotional Intelligence In Children

There has been some interesting research published by John Gottman of on how developing

emotional intelligence in children may be the most important thing we can do for them, and I found his book Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child nothing short of fascinating, and full of very helpful how-to advice for teaching children to develop more emotional intelligence.

If youre not familiar with the concept of Emotional Intelligence, here is a definition from wikipedia:

Emotional Intelligence (EI) describes the ability, capacity, skill or, in the case of the trait EI model, a self-perceived ability, to identify, assess, and manage the emotions of ones self, of others, and of groups.

And it turns out that the higher Emotional Intelligence level of a child, the more successful career they are likely to have, the less likely they are to get a divorce, and they lead more happy fulfilling lives overall compared to people with lower Emotional Intelligence scores.Developing Emotional Intelligence In Children

Much of Gottmans theory on developing emotional intelligence in children is based off of helping a child identify and label their emotions with help from their parents.

So I got to wondering

If a parent who helps teach their child how to label their emotions helps their child grow up to better handle conflict, be less likely to get a divorce, make more money and be happier then parents who dont help their children label their emotions, then

Teaching Your Child To Talk Sooner Helps Develop Emotional Intelligence

If thats true, (and so far this is just my theory), then this might explain the premise of this article BabyCenter.com that points out that kids who are labeled a Chatter Box seem to develop more social skills and leadership abilities as they grow up vs. children who arent talkative.

And maybe, just maybe this suggests that we should spend more time on helping our children learn to talk at an earlier age, instead of just being OK with our children learning to talk whenever they feel like it.

If I am onto something, and talking really can help a child develop emotional intelligence at an earlier age, then the next logical question is

How Do You Teach A Child To Talk Sooner?

Well it turns out there are a couple different things researchers have found that help a child learn to talk sooner. One of these strategies is outlined in a great book titled Nurture Shock. In this book, the authors point out that when children were observed interacting with their parents over time, there was one thing parents did whos children learned to talk sooner, that parents whos children were delayed in learning to speak did not do.

The number one determining factor of whether or not a child learned to speak earlier, ended up being determined by how often the childs parents responded to their babble.

Thats it!

Just by responding to a higher percentage of a young childs babble, parents were able to get their children to talk MUCH faster then other children.

When I first read about this and paid attention to how often I was responding to my sons babble I quickly realized I was ignoring almost 90% of the noises they were making and quickly decided to commit to responding more.

And so far it seems to be working!

My son is more talkative then any other boys his age, and AS talkative, at 2 1/2 as any girls. And when combining this strategy with the Emotion Coaching strategies that Gottman lines out for developing Emotional Intelligence in children maybe, just maybe Ive stumbled accross a very powerful one two punch parenting combo.

But dont take my word for it.

I want to know what you think. Do you agree or disagree?

by: saintgeorge
Review Of unconditional Parenting Why Grades Are Making Children Less Self Motivated The Beneficial Facets Of Child-rearing Workshops An overview of Ralph Lauren Baby & Kids Wear Sales Marketing 101 from a Child's perspective Teenage Anorexia and also the Facts Flip Video Camcorders - Perfect For Kids Gender selection boy-How to concieve a boy baby Buy Different Kids Medical Id Bracelets For Boys And For Girls Tips For Parents To Choose The Best College For Their Children Let Your Child Show Their Team Spirit With Youth (Kids) NFL Jerseys Kid's Baseball Caps Are Great Suitable For Children Secrets of and American Teenager: Jeggings and Silk Remote Control Toys - Favorite Of Kids And Teenagers
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.12.36.30) / Processed in 0.013552 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 42 , 3931, 956,