Insurances.net
insurances.net » Finance » 4 Big Mistakes People Make Hiring A Financial Advisor
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

4 Big Mistakes People Make Hiring A Financial Advisor

I get a lot of calls and emails from people who arent happy with their investments

people who were led in a certain direction by a financial advisor, only to learn later on they didnt have all the information they needed to choose the best financial advisor for them.

The fact is, there are a lot of people out there calling themselves financial advisors, but sometimes you end up with a wolf in sheeps clothing. So Im going to share with you a few things you want to be careful of before you trust someone with your money.

1. Interviewing or talking to just one advisor or one potential advisor. If youve never hired a financial advisor before or never worked with a stock broker or anybody in the world of finance, making a decision after talking to just one person could be very harmful to your situation. And the reason I say that is you dont have a reference of comparison. The first person you meet could be, quite frankly, a complete idiot but could certainly sound like a great advisor to you simply because you dont have a comparison to establish a true opinion. So bottom line: you always want to talk to several different advisors so you can sniff out the good ones from the not-so-good ones.

2. Not doing a background or a reference check. I see this all the time. Gee, I heard this guy on the radio. He must be good. Or, Hes quoted in the newspaper all the time. He must be good. Or even, He wrote a book. So of course hes good. That could be a huge, huge mistake. Right now theres a multitude of so-called financial, talk-radio, ask the expert shows. What you probably dont know is that most of these so-called experts are on the air simply because theyre paying the radio station for the air time! The same goes for books. I have written a book, Worry Free Retirement but I actually wrote the book! Did you know there are companies who will make any adfvisor an instant author? The advisor pays a fee to claim authorship of an already written book! At best, they maybe wrote the preface, but the rest of the content in the book was written by someone else. So dont get lulled into a false sense of security just because someone appears to be an expert.

3. Putting your entire focus on cost. If you hear somebody say, Buy this investment, you pay nothing. The mutual fund, the annuity, the insurance company pays me, you dont pay me anything, my advice to you is to run for the hills. The buyer always pays, there is no free lunch. Where do you think the money comes from for these companies to pay to the advisor?

4. Getting wowed by credentials or designations. In the world of financial planners, there are a multitude of designations. Some of which, quite frankly, you get by just paying a couple of hundred bucks, taking an online, open book test and maybe investing a couple of hours. Meaning a fancy credential, doesnt necessarily qualify them or mean theyve got what it takes to deliver the goods.

First and foremost look, for a Certified Financial Planner. But that doesnt mean you stop there, because quite frankly there are some not-so-good Certified Financial Planners. So do your due diligence. You need to find somebody that doesnt just have the credentials that can deliver the goods, but that you just feel right about. I call it a personal chemistry but whatever you want to call it, dont be afraid to shop around. After all, its your moneyand your lifestyle that will be affected, for better or worse!

Copyright (c) 2010 Brian Fricke

by: Brian Fricke
3d Tv Reviews - What To Anticipate In The Modern The Mitshubishi Wd-60738 3d Dlp Tv 3d Tv Reviews - Tools To Making The Right Option In Purchasing 3d Tvs 3D TV Reviews Tips for Buying a 3D TV 3D TV Reviews: Giving an Insightful View of the 3D Models 3Balls Review & Coupons – Discount Codes 37 Days To Clean Review 33967 6 Qt Programmable Stainless Slow Cooker 33 Inch Twin Blade Baton Short Sword Review 33 Inch Chinese Twin Hook Sword Review 32 Lcd Tv Vizio Vw32l Hdtv Review 32 Inch Dragon Sword Plaque With Death Cobra Handle Review 300DPI.com Review & Coupon Code 3000 Dollar Loan- Significant Financial Help For Loan-seekers In Us
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.220.154.41) Stockholms Lan / Kista Processed in 0.012758 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 16 , 3568, 385,
4 Big Mistakes People Make Hiring A Financial Advisor Kista