Insurances.net
insurances.net » Others » 3 Things To Avoid When Delivering A Speech
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

3 Things To Avoid When Delivering A Speech

3 Things To Avoid When Delivering A Speech

Getting in front of people to give a talk is not easy for many

. Some even say they fear public speaking more than they fear death. However, speaking in public is easier than one might think, especially if you focus on the subject matter where you are strong. Equally as important is having a clear message, and making sure you keep it to the allowed time.

Over the past few months, I have attended meetings, conferences, commencements, workshops, and seminars. These experiences have provided opportunities to observe speakers in action. Some were excellent, others were mediocre, and a few not so good. To be effective, we must focus both on our message, and the ability to engage our audience. In other words, the audience should dictate our approach.

Here are three things you should avoid when speaking before an audience:

#1: Tell them you were just recently given this speaking assignment.

A big turn-off for the audience is when the speaker says the following: Okay! I hope this goes well. My boss told me yesterday I had to do this! While that comment might seem humorous, its unprofessional. The audience is excited to hear your message, and its your job to step up to the plate.

We might be asked to speak with little lead time, and its our responsibility to deliver an excellent message. We shouldnt seek sympathy from anyone. Regardless of the time you have to prepare, do the best you can. More important, avoid communicating to the audience that you are unprepared.

#2: Spend too much time reading from the script.

Its acceptable to have notes when you speak. I usually jot down the key points that will be discussed, and fill in the rest of the talk with personal and professional experiences. I understand there are times when we must read every word from the script, such as an important announcement from a company president. However, most speeches do not require a verbatim delivery.

Im unsure of the science, but I do know that we lose the audiences attention when we look down to read our notes. If we read more than a sentence before re-establishing eye contact, it might be a long speech.

#3: The speech turns into a lecture.

I know very few people who want to be told what to do, especially in public. We should also avoid making others feel inferior. The fact is that many of us are looking for knowledge and information that will makes us better, and not necessarily for reasons why we have fallen behind.

Its better to focus on how we can identify and overcome obstacles. The message can be forthright, but the speaker must ensure the delivery is positive, encouraging, and professional. In other words, we dont want to feel like losers. We want hope.

There are many options available to improve your public speaking skills, including a university class or Toastmasters International. However, you can make improvements on your own.

Good advice includes speaking about a subject where you are an expert, using a bullet list to recall main items, maintaining excellent eye contact, meeting the timeframe, and most importantly, making your audience feel important.

by: Jimmie Flores
3 Things That May Surprise You About Your Taxes 3 Things Girls Find Attractive In Older Men 3 Things All Affiliate Marketers Need To Survive Online 3 Techniques To Improve Your Painting Job 3 Techniques For More Affordable Lansing Mi Insurance 3 Super Fast Female Orgasm Tricks To Bring Her Around In A Hurry (Absolutely Mind-Bowing!) 3 Suggestions For Dating Outside Of Your Race 3 Successful Steps for Working Online 3 Styles Of Bullnose Tiles 3 Stunning Tricks To Turn Any Girl On Within Seconds - Allowing Her To Orgasm Easily 3 Steps to Make Your Online Resume A Winner 3 Steps To Cheaper Insurance From Maryland Ford 3 Steps To Any Enjoyable Wedding Organizing Experience
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.146.105.194) Washington / Seattle Processed in 0.012610 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 28 , 3257, 975,
3 Things To Avoid When Delivering A Speech Seattle