Insurances.net
insurances.net » Parenting » Parenting Advice - Is TV A Blessing Or A Curse?
housing Family Parenting baby
]

Parenting Advice - Is TV A Blessing Or A Curse?

Parenting Advice - Is TV A Blessing Or A Curse

?

Very few families now live life without TV being a prominent feature, so it is useful to understand the extent of its influence. Like many other aspects of modern life, TV is just there and pretty much taken for granted. What should we know about how it is likely to affect our children's behavior?

There is no doubt whatever that watching TV can be a life enhancing experience. Much of the entertainment is of value, to help 'take you out of yourself' and away from the problems and struggle involved in everyday life.

It is usually easy for us as adults, to keep what we see on TV in its proper perspective. Separating what is on TV and what happens in the real world is not always so straight forward for growing children.

What this means that it is our responsibility as parents, to be aware of just what it is that they are absorbing.

The fact is that one of a child's greatest strengths - the ability to absorb and use new information - can be the source of real problems. When program makers use their efforts to get your child's attention, it is quite easy to see that their first concern is not the child's healthy development.

Much of what can be watched day in day out is not only mind-numbing, but many would say it can have really negative effects on some children. Science can not yet be too specific, but it is accepted that some behavioral problems have their route in what has been seen on TV.

I do not think anyone could realistically expect parents to know what their children are watching every minute of the time, but some simple guidelines can be very helpful. First of all, you can put the odds in your favor by simply limiting the time spent watching. If it had been up to me when I was young, I would probably have sat watching all the time. I was mesmerised then and can still be now!

Common sense should help decide how much is enough. You could also try to encourage them to enjoy some of the more mind-expanding types of program. 'Watch this with me and then you can watch the cartoons'.

It is not wise to allow TV watching to become a subject for confrontation. This can make even the positive side of viewing into a problem. As with many aspects of their development, it is a good thing to get them into good habits early. This could mean resisting the temptation to allow the TV to be your baby-sitter. Your child could sit fascinated for hours, from a very early age. It might be thought to 'give you some peace', but who knows what they are absorbing into that active little brain.

Including some TV into a day of varied activities can be enjoyable and beneficial for children of any age. Allowing it to dominate, can only lead to problems.

This is close to my heart, because I could easily become a TV addict couch potato. I thank goodness that I was given sensible guidance at an early age and have tried to do the same for my children.

When making decisions about how to give your child the best, it is wise to have all the help and support you might need. Family and friends can be a great source of ideas, but as there are probably as many opinions as there are people, sometimes it is good to consult the professionals. There is so much information and guidance out there, a little research should help you find what you need to know.

Guidance and suggestions available at http://www.squidoo.com/parent-learning-club
Parental Stress - 15 Smart Ways to Stress Less Parenting Tips For Keeping Your Cool and Shouting Less Parent Involvement Ideas That Work Are There Federal Awards for Single Parents? Christening Gifts for the Godparents Great Financial Helps Available For Single Parents Step-Parenting's Answer - Supporting the Non-Parent Spouse Step-Parenting and Dealing With a Jealous Ex-Spouse Obtaining What You Wish As A Step-Parent Step-Parent - A Very Tough Job Step Parenting - Necessary Rules to Follow Successful Step-Parenting - Building Trust A Means To Achieve Successful Step-Parenting
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.14.135.125) / Processed in 0.005383 second(s), 7 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 26 , 3580, 70,
Parenting Advice - Is TV A Blessing Or A Curse?