Insurances.net
insurances.net » Women » Ellen Voie: Women Are Not Small Men!
breast girl gorgeous Weight-Loss vegas shopping Love Dating Yoga Pregnant Men Women Wedding Beauty
]

Ellen Voie: Women Are Not Small Men!

Recently I was asked to participate in a panel discussion at the Transportation Research Board Conference in Washington, D.C

. The overall topic for the panel was "Safety and Security Design for Female Transportation Workers." My segment focused on "Challenges in Equipment Design," and since I represent women in the trucking industry, my information related to women in trucking!

As I gathered the research related to equipment used by professional drivers, I was drawn to two different ways of viewing the data. There are many people in the trucking industry who prefer to refer to women as "small statured people," to consolidate them with men who are shorter than average.

However, after reading many articles about the differences between men and women when it comes to drivers, I determined that women are not merely small men! In fact, there are many women (myself included) who are taller than average and cannot be lumped into the group of all drivers when it relates to equipment.

According to a study conducted by Atlas Ergonomics, the average male truck driver weighs 213 pounds and is 5" 10" tall. The average female truck driver weighs 160 pounds and is 5" 4" tall. Remember, these are averages, but an earlier study concluded that truck drivers are heavier, on average, than the general population.

While women may be shorter than men (on average) it is often due to the length of their legs (not torso). Men have greater grip strength and are less subject to overstretching tendons than women. However, women have more flexible joints while men are usually able to generate more strength, especially in the upper limbs, than women.

Researchers also found that women react to stress differently than men? Men experience an increase in blood pressure and adrenaline levels while women have a greater heart rate level when exposed to stressful situations. This could suggest that stress is more regulated by the nervous system in men and the metabolic system in women.

Women have greater levels of estrogen, which has been shown to stimulate muscle repair and the regenerative process. A decrease in hormones has been associated with a greater incidence for injury and a delay in recovery. So, women are not just small men, as women and men differ in hormonal levels considerably.

After sitting for long periods, a driver"s muscles tend to move, or become strained. This is called viscoelastic creep, and women were found to recover more quickly and experience less stiffness than men when exiting the vehicle after hours behind the wheel.

The seats in trucks seem to be the most challenging part of the design when it comes to ergonomics. Without the ability to comfortably reach the pedals, controls and levers, it becomes an issue of safety for many people who are not easily accommodated while driving.

Adding to the safety considerations, seat comfort is crucial in supporting the driver"s back. A study by the Kentucky College of Nursing found that back pain is the second most cited health condition for professional drivers.

In addition to the seat itself, the seat belt and shoulder harness often make the miles behind the wheel uncomfortable. The three point belt system does not always allow women with cleavage be secured properly and many women will put the shoulder strap behind them to stop the chafing. For smaller women the shoulder strap rubs against the neck when a height adjustment is unavailable.

Because of the shorter leg length, the steps into the cab of the truck become an issue for some women. A study by Liberty Mutual found that forty percent of falls from highway vehicles occur when the victim is entering or exiting the cab of the truck, or the rear of the truck or trailer.

Accommodating these challenges are crucial in creating a safer environment for women. The trucking industry already has a reputation for being one of the more hazardous occupations. One out of every 13 drivers experiences a work related industry resulting in a lost time claim.

Women are not small-statured men, and the equipment needs for this segment of the driver population should not be ignored. In an effort to attract and retain women as professional drivers, we need to address these challenges and make the trucking industry more accommodating for women as well as men!

Resource

http://news.careersingear.com/road-blog/women-are-not-small-men

by: Ellen Voie
Best Shopping Tips To Find The Right Womens Bathrobes White Prom Dresses Ideas For Women In This 2012 New Ways How To Cure A Yeast Infection In Women Cure For Chronic Symptoms Of Yeast Infections In Women Seduction Secrets You Want To Know To Get Women Turned On Suitable Leather Jackets For Women Kotex Coupons For Women Welfare Benefits Of Strength Training For Women: What Strength Training Does For You Plastic Surgery For Women In Portland Latest Trends In Womens Wear - Fashion As You Wear It Best Places To Meet Women Some Highest Paying Careers Which Requires Attention Of Women Women Stock Photos
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.191.202.45) Mato Grosso do Sul / Campo Grande Processed in 0.012918 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 32 , 4651, 80,
Ellen Voie: Women Are Not Small Men! Campo Grande