Insurances.net
insurances.net » Small Business » Dont Be Misled By These Reverse Mortgage Myths
Home Business Small Business Wholesale Business Business agency Global Economy
]

Dont Be Misled By These Reverse Mortgage Myths

Reverse mortgages continue to grow in popularity among senior citizens seeking to tap into the equity theyve established in their homes

. But despite their widespread use, reverse mortgages are still a source of mystery among many homeowners. The following list addresses some of the more common myths associated with the reverse mortgage loan process.

Myth 1: The bank can take my home whenever they like

With a reverse mortgage, the homeowner retains the title to the home. As long as the standard obligations such as keeping the home maintained and paying for property taxes and home insurance are met, the homeowner cannot be forced out of the home. The loan does not become due until the homeowner permanently leaves the home, at which time the borrower or his or her heirs must repay the mortgage, often through sale of the home.

Myth 2: When the reverse mortgage term is up, the bank will take the home

When a reverse mortgage comes due, which occurs when the homeowner permanently leaves the home, the homeowner still retains the title to the home. At the discretion of the homeowner or his or her heirs, the home may be sold to repay the loan or it may be refinanced in order to repay the loan and avoid selling the home.

Myth 3: A reverse mortgage is solely for homeowners in dire financial need

Todays reverse mortgages are being used more and more commonly as financial and estate planning tools to allow senior citizens of all financial backgrounds enjoy their retirement. Even homeowners with multi-million dollar homes can use reverse jumbo mortgages to gain access to the equity in their homes, incorporating them into their legacy estate planning. If youre interested in using the equity as a legacy, talk with a financial advisor about the best steps to take.

Myth 4: If I take out a reverse mortgage, my Medicare and Social Security benefits will decrease or be eliminated

In most cases, a reverse mortgage will not affect any Social Security or Medicare benefits the homeowner receives. Medicaid or Federal Supplemental Security Income benefits may be affected to some degree. If you receive benefits from any of these programs, its a good idea to speak with a financial advisor or the overseeing government agency to see how you might be affected.

Myth 5 I can only use the money from a reverse mortgage for specific expenses

The money you receive from a reverse mortgage is yours to spend as you like. There are no restrictions. Some homeowners use the proceeds from their reverse mortgage to pay off debts or meet regular, recurring bills, while others may use the money for travel, to make a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, or to make monetary gifts to their heirs or loved ones. Its your money, and you can decide how it is spent.

Myth 6: I will need to pay taxes on the money I receive from my reverse mortgage

Like a home equity loan, the money you receive from a reverse mortgage is already your money, and you will not need to pay additional taxes on it. To ensure you understand any potential tax implications you or your heirs may encounter when the loan comes due, its a good idea to consult with a financial advisor.

Myth 7: My children will be unhappy if I take out a reverse mortgage

Many seniors worry that their children will not approve of their choice to receive a reverse mortgage. If youre considering a reverse mortgage, its a good idea to talk about it with your children to avoid any potential surprises. Most adult children welcome reverse mortgages as a financial solution that will allow their parents to live more comfortably and happily in their retirement years. You may be surprised to learn that your children view your decision with relief, rather than dread.

Myth 8: Reverse mortgages are unregulated and risky

Actually, reverse mortgages are overseen and regulated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and any homeowner considering a reverse mortgage must, by law, receive financial counseling from a HUD-approved counselor to ensure they understand their rights and the structure of the loan itself.

Myth 9: Because I owe money on my home, I cannot qualify for a reverse mortgage

As long as you have enough equity in your home, you can still be eligible for a reverse mortgage. In fact, the proceeds of your reverse mortgage can be used to pay off your existing mortgage.

Reverse mortgages continue to increase in popularity, but like any unfamiliar product, misunderstandings can affect a homeowners willingness to explore these useful loans. By understanding and busting myths surrounding reverse mortgages, you could uncover a potential source of funds that can make your life more enjoyable during retirement.

by: mor123
free business opportunity traffic Ease Of Registering A Company In Singapore Vs India How To Write A Professional Business Email - Secret Tip ! School Auction Idea: A Potato Cannon An Overview Of Worldwide Oilfield Completion Services How a strong branding can make your business flourish How Retirees Benefit From Using The Law Of Attraction For Marketing Their Retirement Business How To Qualify For A Small Business Credit Line Use These 3 Simple Steps To Begin A Transition To Your Own Business Placemats: Protecting And Enhancing The Look Of Your Dining Table Serving Trays: Perfecting The Art Of Food Presentation Why Does Your Business Need The Services Of An Atlanta Marketing Agency? Industry's Top 2 Corded Drills
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.21.154.139) / Processed in 0.010505 second(s), 8 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 40 , 4899, 146,