Insurances.net
insurances.net » baby » Can Baby's Sense of Smell and Taste be Enriched?
housing Family Parenting baby
]

Can Baby's Sense of Smell and Taste be Enriched?

That's what I asked myself when I began writing about the sensory motor development of children

. Frankly, I hesitated to tackle the senses of smell and taste for over a year, because I didn't think there were many toys that could enhance their development. Well, there aren't many toys, but there are lots of activities. Maybe not so many activities for the newborn, but definitely as they get older.

These two senses are closely related. In fact, some say that 70 to 75 percent of what we think is taste really comes from our sense of smell. That's why food doesn't taste as good when you have a stuffy nose.

As I did more research, I was blown away by just how much odors and tastes DO affect the child. But what really boggled my mind was just how developed these senses are BEFORE they're born.

SMELL

According to David B. Chamberlain, Ph.D. in The Fetal Senses: A Classical View, research now shows that the baby's system for smelling in utero is much more complex than originally thought.

How can they smell in utero? They smell in two ways: through the amniotic fluid and through the placenta.

Again referring to Dr. Chamberlain, the nose develops between 11 and 15 weeks of gestation. So the amniotic fluid, in which the baby lives, bathes not only the baby's olfactory cavity, the area responsible for smell, but also the oral and pharyngeal cavities, the areas responsible for swallowing. Thus the baby can detect its odor and swallow it.

The placenta carries products of the mother's diet. That may explain why your baby reacts to certain foods you eat.

All of this before he is even born!!

So what do they smell after birth?

They distinguish their own mother's scent, as opposed to other women's, and prefer it. It also has a soothing effect after a stressful situationlike shots.

Vanilla also seems to have a soothing effect, according to an article by Dr. Maureen Williams. And in a scientific study published in Pediatrics, vanilla had a beneficial effect in premature infants.

Sweet and non-sweet odors. They prefer sweet ones.

Strong odorsthey turn away from those.

TASTE

Just as babies are able to smell before birth, they can taste in utero. Taste buds appear on the baby's tongue by the 12th week of pregnancy. Tests in utero show that they seem to prefer sweet tastes to bitter and sour tastes by swallowing more with sweet ones. So they really are born with a pretty well-developed sense of taste and definitely have preferences.

It is interesting to note that the first indication of food allergies DOES appear in these first three months.

Food Allergies

For whatever reason, some newborns do not receive enough nourishment from breast milk so they may have to supplement with formula. Some newborns cannot tolerate regular formula, mainly due to the cows' milk ingredient of lactose. One of our twins had to use a soy formula. Your pediatrician will be able to help you determine whether this is the case or not. Note any signs of lactose sensitivity and relate them to the baby's doctor.

Signs of Lactose Sensitivity:

Family history of lactose sensitivity.

Skin manifestations of rash, hives, eczema around forehead.

Vomiting.

Gassiness, fussiness, or colic.

Changes in stools.

Fluctuating weight.

Stuffy nose

By: Grandma Beth
Safety Standards For Baby Cribs Best Baby Crib Wheels Choosing Baby Names For 2010 Baby Gifts - How To Remember The Name Of The Gift Giver Using Lightweight Baby Strollers How To Determine What You Should Charge For Babysitting Lifelike Baby Dolls Dressed As Disney Characters Make A Great Gift For The Disney Collector Who Has Unusual Gift Ideas For Baby's First Christmas Gifts How To Get Your Free Baby Pampers Coupons By Mail Why Are Organic Baby Clothes More Expensive? Help me Conceiving a baby at 42 - Tips to Cure Your Infertility and Increase Your Probabilities of Conceive a baby at 42 Baby Shower Invitation For All Baby Shower Party Occasions! Guide For Buying Your First Baby Stroller
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.143.223.217) / Processed in 0.012914 second(s), 7 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 56 , 3638, 84,