Board logo

subject: Gentling Dental Rochester Mn, Crowns, Implants, Fillings Dentist [print this page]

5 things your dentist wants you to know about restorative dentistry

1. What is restorative dentistry?

Restorative dentistry is the replacement of teeth or tooth structure. This can involve crowns, bridges, fillings, dentures and implants.

2. When does a tooth need a filling?

A tooth may need a filling due to a cavity caused by decay. Other reasons may be that a tooth becomes chipped or cracked.

3. Are there different types of fillings?

There are 2 types of fillings; metal and tooth colored. Tooth colored fillings are preferred by many especially for teeth in the front of the mouth where metal fillings are seen as unsightly. Tooth colored fillings wear well and are bonded directly onto to tooth which requires less tooth preparation. Metal fillings are applied mechanically and require more aggressive preparation. Metal fillings are best for tooth locations that cannot easily be kept dry while placing the filling.

4. Do fillings ever need to be replaced?

Yes, teeth can develop cavities along side an existing filling and need to be replaced. A tooth colored filling may need replacing after time if it becomes stains and no longer matches the surrounding tooth.

5. Should I whiten my teeth before I get a filling?

Yes, it is best to whiten your teeth before being receiving a tooth colored filling to achieve the best match of colors.

The three most critical steps to having a lifetime of healthy teeth.

1. Brush your teeth after every meal, at least three times a day. Floss at least once a day.

2. Eat a well-balanced diet. Good nutrition helps you maintain healthy teeth.

3. Have your teeth examined and cleaned every six months, more if you have gum disease or other conditions that place you at greater risk of oral health problems.

by: Rochester Professional

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)