Board logo

subject: Back Massage: Alleviate Hurts Faster [print this page]

Back Massage: Alleviate Hurts Faster

Ow, that's my back! I can't bend over, stand up, move! Does this sound familiar? To me and my husband, it does. We have both found ourselves at various times in our lives with this particular ailment. Well, recently we have been going for a frequent back massage. What a difference. We have found that the best type of therapy for backs is acupressure (acupuncture & pressure). In the United States and the world over, you can just run over to your local spa and take some time out for yourself, whether it be for 30, 45, 60 minutes or more, a massage will refresh your mind, body and soul.

Back massage is not a new breakthrough when caring for back pain. Massage therapists have practiced this art throughout the world. Chinese records dating back 5,000 years document the use of massage therapy for not only back pain. Many cultures, including the ancient Hindus, Persians and Egyptians applied many forms of massage, and even Hippocrates wrote papers recommending the use of rubbing and friction for joint and circulatory problems. Interested in finding out more about how it is practiced? Well, there are a variety of methods, over 250 to be precise. Different massages cure different ailments.

Back massage, as well as other massage techniques became popular in the US in the 1800's and grew in popularity until around the 1930's and 40's. The development of modern medicine discounted the benefits of it. Massage made a re-appearance in the 1960's and 1970's when nurses began to use it to alleviate pain in their patients. In the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta massage was deemed a core medical service.

Anyone who has had a luxury massage is a lucky person. I, personally, was the tester person for a lady who was learning how to give back massages. I worked for a health club, and she needed volunteers. I, as the low person on the totem pole, was elected to be the subject of a massage. I had no idea what was involved. However, this was far from a relaxing back massage. It was supposed to feel great! I had to put up with the noise of two rowdy little boys while their mother practiced on me! I opted for the clothes-on option! Yes, there is a no-clothes option which involves the subject being nude, but covered by towels and blankets. It is all very civilized. I later discovered that a massage can be great! In order to find what suits you and your back needs, you must try many different types.

One can have an international experience while receiving a massage. Along with oils, feet, stones, hands etc, one must find one's favorite type of massage. You may find that Lomi Lomi massage in Hawaii, Samoan, Shiatsu, Thai or even Chinese massage suits your needs. If not, then maybe try Swedish massage, which, incidentally in Sweden is known as classical massage. Whatever method of pain relief you chose, make sure you try a back massage, it will leave you feeling great!

By: Heidi Gleason

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)