Board logo

subject: Alleviate Pain Sooner with a Massage [print this page]

Alleviate Pain Sooner with a Massage

In all my years on this earth, I have only had one massage! Now that I know the many benefits and history of massage, I'll be looking forward to a series of massages. It is an ancient form of healing and ways of relaxation and rest. It is found in to ancient cultures. Records of different massages go back through the ages in all parts of the world to many ancient civilizations.

The art of massage is the manipulation of superficial layers of muscle and connective tissue. This is to enhance function and promote relaxation and well-being. It became popular in the US in the 1800s and grew in popularity until the 1930s and 40s. When modern medicine came to the forefront, the art of massage therapy became discounted as lesser than. Suddenly, it became popular again in the 1960s and 1970s when nurses began to use it to relieve pain in patients. Unusually, in the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta it was deemed a core medical service. This gave more credence to it.

The word massage comes from the Latin word friction as well as from the French word meaning friction or kneading", and the Arabic word massage meaning to touch, feel or handle. I am always interested in finding out the origin of words, and to me this was fascinating, as each culture derived its own word and meaning.

Massage is done in a variety of ways with a variety of ancient remedies. The person is either on a table, chair, or a mat, and is generally unclothed, but may be modestly covered with towels or sheets. If the person is uncomfortable with this, she/he may wear underwear. Some massage therapists use oil, or even such thing as body rocks! Different oils can be used to stimulate blood flow and relaxation. A body rock can be either cold or warm and coated in different sorts of oils such as fractionated coconut oil, grape seed oil, olive oil, macadamia oil, sesame oil, pecan oil and mustard and aromatherapy oils. Wow, what a combination, sounds like it could be a great trail mix or salad dressing, doesn't it?

This is not the extent of the variety of massages and remedies that are available. As well as a plethora of oils, there are many body parts used to give a massage. A massage can be applied by using the masseuses hands, fingers, elbows, knees, forearms or feet. Yes, feet! You can be walked on by someone, and, if done properly, it can feel good.

Anyway, one must find ones favorite type of massage. Not only are there many ways and oils, but it can be cultural. It can be an international experience. You may find that Lomi Lomi massage in Hawaii, Samoan, Shiatsu, Thai or even Chinese massage suits your needs. If not, then maybe try Swedish massage, which, incidentally in Sweden is known as classical massage.

Whatever method of massage you choose, it can help relieve pain, anxiety, depression and a variety of diseases. There is no way to blind-test massage therapy, as the person being tested is going to be touched, and we cannot deny that the sense of touch is very therapeutic by itself. Be sure to try it out and find what type of massage works best for you!

By: Pete Webber

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)