Board logo

subject: So You're Thinking Of Getting Liposuction--how Will The Important People In Your Life Feel About It? [print this page]

So You're Thinking Of Getting Liposuction--how Will The Important People In Your Life Feel About It?

So You're Thinking of Getting Liposuction. How will the important people in your life feel about it?

Summary: When making decisions about your own body, you may not think about others. If it makes you feel good or look a little trimmer, cosmetic surgery may seem like a private decision that others need not be involved in. The fact is, though, that your friends, relatives or significant other may not approve of your choice to get liposuction. Here are a few things to consider about changing your body and how others might react.

When making decisions about your own body, you may not think about others. If it makes you feel good or look a little trimmer, cosmetic surgery may seem like a private decision that others need not be involved in. The fact is, though, that your friends, relatives or significant other may not approve of your choice to get liposuction. Here are a few things to consider about changing your body and how others might react.

The general idea behind liposuction is that it should make you look thinner and better. In modern society, thinner is usually thought of as more attractive. Television is full of beautiful people in New York high rises. You might expect, then, that all the people who love you would be excited for you.
So You're Thinking Of Getting Liposuction--how Will The Important People In Your Life Feel About It?

The reality is usually more complicated, though. Not everyone in your life will like the idea. But what could make your friends and intimates disapprove? What's wrong with getting liposuction?

There's nothing wrong, of course, in the medical sense. The procedure is small, relatively painless, and involves a brief healing time. Although fat is removed from the body, only a few pounds can be suctioned out at one time. As far as surgeries go, it is pretty safe and simple; that is, assuming that you find an experienced surgeon to do the job.

The removal of small amounts of fat doesn't drastically change the appearance of the body, either. The affected area is generally restricted to relatively small problem areas (such as the thighs in many women) and only those areas are trimmed up. The rest of the patient's body is unaffected.

Although the changes are small, some spouses may feel hurt about the other wanting to change his or her body. Maybe your spouse likes you as you are and is unable to understand why you want to meet a societal standard of beauty. Others may feel jealous of the attention you may receive for looking a little more attractive.

There is also a stereotype of vainness associated with liposuction. People who want to change their bodies are sometimes seen as being too concerned with looking perfect. Friends and family members may be judgmental of the decision or may feel alienated by perceived vanity.

Like any major life decision, this one should be considered carefully. Anyone thinking about getting liposuction should reflect upon these questions: What does the family think? How will this affect my relationships with my friends? Will my spouse have hurt feelings over my decision? Is it worth it to me to deal with the changes in my relationships?

by: Christian Heftel

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)