Insurances.net
insurances.net » Cancer Insurance » The 24 Hr. Laryngitis Treatment & How To Get Your Voice Back
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

The 24 Hr. Laryngitis Treatment & How To Get Your Voice Back

Laryngitis can cost a singer opportunity and money

, or just turn a fun gig into a struggle. There are several causes for laryngitis. This article deals with the easiest one to prevent and fix: illness.

As a singer/songwriter touring through Europe used to be tough on the throat for me. I often spent six to ten weeks at a pop crammed inside a van, sometimes ten gigs in a row without a rest. Shows lasted hours, clubs were clouds of smoke, I generally could not hear myself through shoddy house system monitors. I was meeting hundreds of people, getting little sleep, and not enough exercise. It was difficult to avoid sickness, hoarseness and laryngitis. There were many nights I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to sing a whole show due to voice loss. Looking back, I am lucky I never caused permanent damage to my vocal cords.

I take much better care of myself now. As a vocal coach, I'm one of those "I never get sick" people. I cannot remember the last time I lost my voice due to illness until recently, a week before my scheduled taping on "The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson." I carelessly kissed my sick child on the lips and got a fever of 102. There was absolutely no voice coming out the day before the show. It was all air.

Students quite often will ask me for a laryngitis remedy. Prevention is the best medicine, but I also have a 24 hour cure.

Prevention: Drink water, take your vitamins (I use Gan Mao Ling if I feel something coming on, recommended by licensed acupuncturist, Andrea Natta), get rest, wash your hands often, avoid too much alcohol or caffeine. For hoarseness in the mornings, try sleeping with your head slightly propped up, avoiding spicy or acidic foods several hours before going to bed, in case minor acid reflux is the culprit. For dry air due to arid climates or indoor heating, use a hot steam vaporizer. Avoid stress and emotional upset before shows or recording. If you are taking an airplane, grab a hoody sweatshirt and stick it on backwards, so you can place the hood over your face while you rest or wrap a scarf around your mouth to protect your voice from dry air. Also, try a sleep collar - I like it better than pillows, because it keeps my throat warm and I get better rest.

Below is the regimen I used to ged rid of my laryngitis caused by phlegm and swollen cords, because I got cocky about preventing illness. I regained my voice 80% - enough for the show taping. I am not a doctor and you should not follow the regimen without talking to your doctor. Fortunately, my voice student Dr. Sam Adams is also an internist in San Francisco, and he reviewed the regimen with me. I want to emphasize that this is my 24 hour cure for laryngitis that is caused by sickness only. I will cover other causes of laryngitis including strain, overuse and polyps in future articles.

My 24 Hour Cure For Laryngitis Due To Illness By Ruth Gerson (do not try without your doctor's approval):

4 ibuprofen* (total of 800mg) every six hours

2 aspirin* every four hrs., aspirin chewed and swallowed slowly without water, allowed to sit on the throat. After 15-20 minutes, sips of temperate water. Note from Dr. Sam Adams: "Ibuprofen in the high dose suggested, 800mg four times a day, can be used for short periods of time. But, singers should check with a doctor before starting this high dose, especially if they have other medical conditions. Using aspirin in combination with ibuprofen is acceptable, but gives a higher risk of an ulcer or other gastrointestinal irritation. Again, singers should check with their doctors before using these medications."

At least 12oz of water every hour.

Lots of steam (loosens phlegm which stops the cords from vibrating). Pour boiling water in a bowl and put a towel over your head. Breathe in steam through nose and mouth alternatively for ten minutes. Repeat every hour.

Honey and lemon in chamomile tea (not too hot). Chamomile is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Mucus thinner cough suppressant every 4 hrs. NO PSEUDOEPHEDRINE! Pseudoephedrine dries the mucus to your cords. The goal is to get the mucus off the cords.

Lots of sleep with the head raised, so the cords swell less while resting.

No talking. No whispering (worse than talking).

A positive and calm attitude. Once you're sick, any added stress can further compromise your immune system and make you sicker.

A few sips of cognac an hour before singing.

If you've lost your voice, take it easy when you begin to regain it. Don't push your voice - this can cause damage that can take a long time to heal. The body is not a machine. If you are too ill, let go of the old vaudevillian axiom, "the show must go on" and reschedule, if possible. Better safe, than injured.

by: Ruth Gerson
Breast Cancer Questions on Treatment & Diagnosis to Ask Doctors Possible Complications of Breast Cancer Surgery Breast Cancer Surgery Options - Understanding Your Breast Cancer Surgery Options for Early-Stage Breast Cancer Why You May Need to Perform an Asbestos Survey Causes And Treatment For Anemia Natural Asthma Treatments Natural Treatments for Genital Wart Sufferers Three advantages of window treatments Benefits Of Chiropractic Treatments Getting Prepared For Teeth Whitening Treatment Wrinkle Treatment To Soothe Your Skin Modern Retinol Wrinkle Treatment
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(35.171.22.220) / Processed in 0.013426 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 40 , 4959, 301,
The 24 Hr. Laryngitis Treatment & How To Get Your Voice Back