Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Why Are We Pushing Our Kids Into College?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Why Are We Pushing Our Kids Into College?

This may seem like a strange statement, especially since it is coming from an independent college counselor. However, I think it is time we consider it as a partial solution for some of our education and job related problems.Recently, I assisted with some college planning sessions at a few local high schools. Most of the students I talked with were considering a two or four-year college because this was the goal that the high school had set. Some of the students were interested in becoming auto mechanics, truck drivers, construction workers, and sales people. When I asked, "Why college," one of them replied, "Well, everyone says you've gotta go."Today, our community colleges are crowded and are unable to handle the number of new students who are enrolling. Yet, a mere 12% are actually graduating with a two-year or associate's degree. Many of the students are taking remedial math and English because they are not ready for college level work. Frequently, when they find out that remedial courses do not count toward a degree, they get discouraged and eventually drop out.Many four-year state universities are also bursting at the seams. Some students question why they are there and often admit it is due to parental pressure or a lack of something else to do. Too many students are not prepared for the rigor of college. They often take the minimum number of credits required to be a full-time student. This probably explains why the four-year graduation rate for many state universities is barely 40%. This is shocking.I would like to see high schools make vocational education more appealing and accessible to students who might not believe that it can be their avenue to success. I think if more people in the local communities came into these schools and spoke with students about their jobs, the training involved and the earning potential, education might be transformed dramatically.For example, a commercial truck driver could spend a day at a high school and talk with students about his job and the increasing need for more drivers every year. He or she could explain that a student needs to get a commercial drivers' license through a training school and perhaps share some personal experiences from out on the road. Students might find out that the salary after even two years of experience is usually above $50,000. One would assume that might spark some interest.Or consider an auto mechanic who talks with a group of high school kids and tells them that by working in an apprenticeship at an auto repair business or getting a part-time job at a car dealership can lead to full- time employment. The average hourly salary is $16.00, but top mechanics make $27.00 an hour and more. Plus, employment for auto mechanics is expected to increase by 14% in the next five years.Want to be a web designer or a firefighter? Both can pay well and neither requires more than a high school diploma and specific training.High school students continuously hear that you cannot be successful without a college education. You will never get a job without a college degree. You cannot expect to make a good salary with only a high school diploma. For some students, this may be true, but for others it is the wrong information and it needs to change.As an independent college counselor, I want to continue to help students as they navigate the journey from high school to college. Most importantly, though, I want to help students achieve success. For many students, higher education is necessary in order for them to reach their career goals. But for others, let's ask what they might want to pursue before we push them into college.
Deal Absolutely with Harmful Children Behavior Easter Basket - The Gift Basket Kids Want Autism a Key Risk to Young children Your Child's Bedroom Needs Some Beautification Live in Sixteenth Century by Choosing Medieval Clothing Why Won't My Child Poop on the Potty? Sterling Close to Fourteen Month High Against US Dollar Gear Regarding Golf That Kids Are able to use 7 Weight Loss Tips For Teenagers Timing is Everything When it Comes to Parenting a Challenging Child Worried That Your Child Snores? Wholesale Garments - Get Low-cost Childrens Clothing Wholesale By way of SaleHoo Pleasant Kids party experiences by Hiring Limo Services in Melbourne
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.117.165.66) Georgia / Atlanta Processed in 0.013214 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 2 , 3732, 956,
Why Are We Pushing Our Kids Into College? Atlanta