Board logo

subject: Choosing a good wedding photographer [print this page]

Choosing a good wedding photographer

Choosing a good wedding photographer

Being a wedding photographer myself, gives me a pretty good insight as to some of the steps that should be taken by a couple searching for a wedding photographer.

Before you even begin looking for a photographer you should decide on a budget and then try to stick to it if possible. What type pricing can you expect, well you can get packages that range from $500 all the way up to $5,000. .Is the $5,000 dollar package 10 times better than the $500, not always but in some cases yes. You can find aspiring photographers who are great at their craft but are just starting out as wedding photographers. In some cases they`ll go above and beyond to make sure you`re satisfied with their services as they try tobuild a portfolio for themselves.

I've been a wedding photographer in the Montreal area now for about 2 years, not full time, part time. I charge about $1,250 for a complete package. Which is about average for photographers starting out, you can view my website to get an idea of what $1,250 will get you.

Once you've decided on a budget you should decide on a style. There are really two major styles to choose from. The first being, so called Photo journalistic and the other being classic. Photojournalist style is more candid photographer, think of a newspaper photographer. They never make themselves part of the story; they just stay at a distance and snap the photo. Classic style involves lots of posing, the photographer is pretty much telling you how and where to pose. Ideally I feel it makes sense to choose a photographer that is comfortable with both.

Here are some questions you should ask before choosing a photographer.

Does they have references and can you call them?

Do you get a copy of the high resolution files or do they charge extra for them?

Does they have a back up camera?

What camera does they use? If it's something you can get at best buy for $500. Skip it. Most pro level cameras start at $1,500.

Does they charge overtime and if so how much?

Do they offer a free engagment session (great way to know if the photographer is right for you)

Good Luck

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)