Board logo

subject: Jean marie adiaffi ade, the unruly child of the african literature [print this page]

Jean marie adiaffi ade, the unruly child of the african literature

I met Jean-Marie Adiaffi Adefor an interview as a freelance journalist on December 1998, and thirteen years later, what he told me on himself and African literature and politics always sounds fresh.

Drissa Cisse: You were previously called Jean-Marie Adiaffi, without Ade. Why did you add it then?

Jean-MarieAdiaffi Ade: Jean-Marie is the first name I got from my parents whose Christian influence was considerable. They forgot to add Ade which means "The third child". I was born after the birth of my sister Komlan and my brother Kouassi. Since I am the third child, my name is Ade. That is why I added it.

DC: You are said to be someone who only does things just to be well-known.

JMAA: (He laughs nervously). Let people say what they think. I am not living with such considerations and thank God for giving me the strength to shut my eyes before such purposes. I am what I am. I do not need any advertising.

DC: How do you explain your popularity?

JMAA: I think it is due to my personality. Don't forget I am also a successful writer.

DC: How many books did you write?

JMAA: I wrote two novels, two tales for children and two compilations of poems. The total is six books.

DC: What do you think of writing? Could you live from it if you were not also teaching philosophy at a grammar-school in Abidjan?

JMAA: I am not writing books to earn my living and I know it is rather impossible in Africa. See the Nigerian Nobel prize Wole Soyinka. He is not rich. Literature in Africa cannot make you a millionaire. Elsewhere it is possible. People like Herman Wouk or Harold Robbins in the USA have millions dollars in writing. Even some script-writers, whose writings are not good at all, have Rolls-Royces. Africa is not Hollywood and I think that even if I had the opportunity to make myself wealthy, my aim would always remain writing correctly. That is to mean as a writer, one doesn't have to consider money first.

DC: What's about your 1981 prize, "Le Grand Prix Littraire d'Afrique Noire?" How did you enjoy it? Some people said you were limitless pleased.

JMAA: (He smiles as if it is a question he was expecting). Well, it proves there is an international recognition concerning my work. Now, if some people think I had to hide my pleasure in getting that prize, I cannot understand them. I am not Jean Paul Sartre who refused to be rewarded the Nobel Prize. Each individual has his makings and I am a cheerful man.

DC: Do you have some political ambitions?

JMAA: No! Politics have never been my aim.

DC: But this is contradictory to your actions! Everyone can see that you publicly defend some viewpoints in politics. Don't you think if you were a political leader many people would be attached to your party?

JMAA: It is possible. This is the power of television and the radio. Even if one is a silly person, he can become as important as a president because of Medias. In the most important country in the world, I mean the USA; television helps rich men being senators, governors and so on. Imagine what would happen if the most important president on Hearth is a madman. I am very popular because I talk much. But let's say that talking doesn't mean I can be a good leader, a man who is able to manage the whole country. I only talk to criticise what I cannot support from our politicians or dictators. So, when I appear at the screen or when I am heard at the radio, everyone thinks I am the one who can lead them. Probably they would be members of a political party if I created it. But it wouldn't be wise.

DC: If you have no political ambition, what are you aiming at, apart from literature?

JMAA: You know that I studied cinematography in Paris before. When I came back home, I was disappointed. There was nothing to be done with such a job because a film-producer had no means. Without means, one cannot create. I went again to Paris and studied philosophy. Today, I am a writer and a teacher. Tomorrow, I can be a producer because things have changed a little. I am writing the script of a film that will be directed by Gnoan Mballa, so why not return to my old dream: making films?

DC: What is your last word?

JMAA: I would like to prevent the youth from AIDS.

welcome to Insurances.net (https://www.insurances.net) Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0   (php7, mysql8 recode on 2018)