What Credentials Are Needed To Become An Insurance Investigator
Insurance investigators research and verify claims to make sure no fraud or cheating is
involved. They search records and databases, conduct personal interviews and inspect
damaged vehicles, property and buildings. They also write reports of their findings and
cooperate with other investigators and law enforcement professionals. Although
investigator jobs often require only a high school diploma, many hiring managers prefer
candidates with relevant work experience or education. Some investigators must be
Insurance companies usually require a high school education or the equivalent for
insurance investigator jobs, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Take speech
classes or join the debate club in high school to develop the interviewing skills you will
need as a future investigator. Take courses in English and writing to prepare for the report-
writing component of an investigator's career.
Some insurance companies prefer to hire investigators with college degrees, although no
degree is mandatory. The desired degree varies with the type of claims work. For example,
an engineering degree is useful for investigating claims in factories, while an accounting
degree equips you to investigate business fraud. A bachelor's degree in criminal justice is
another path to the job of insurance investigator. A criminal justice program provides a
legal background plus the necessary skills in research, investigation and critical thinking.
Experience and On-the-job Training
Insurance companies often give hiring preference to applicants with relevant work
experience, as police officers or private investigators, for example. Previous experience as
an insurance claims adjuster or a firefighter can also help you get an investigator position.
These jobs develop the interviewing and research skills needed for investigating claims for
possible fraud. Insurance companies also provide on-the-job training for new insurance
investigators. New hires usually begin work on simple cases under an experienced
investigator before moving on to more difficult assignments.
Licensing requirements for investigators vary from state to state. In some states, an
investigator working as an insurance company employee doesn't need a license. However,
private investigators doing insurance company work as private contractors normally need
licenses. In some states, the only requirements for a license are passing an ethics test and
paying a fee. Other states require completion of an educational program or an examination
on insurance investigating. Some states also require continuing education. In most states,
you must pass a background check and be free of felony convictions.
Insurance fraud investigators can qualify for optional certification as Certified Fraud
Investigator through the International Association of Special Investigation Units. To
become certified, you need a minimum of a bachelor's degree plus relevant work
experience. You also must agree to a code of ethics and pass an examination. Continuing
education units are required to maintain your certification.
LEAVE A REPLY? =>> REPLY
- Accident" in Personal Accident and Employers' Liability Insurance
- Why You Need It When You need it
- Preventing Online Insurance Fraud
- Tax Preparation: What Happens If You Don't File A Personal Income Tax Return By October 15?
- 6 Common Questions About Making A Whiplash Personal Injury Claim
- Sending Important Personal Documents In A Hurry, Made Easy
- Establishing Your Personal Affiliate Program
- Is It Possible To Find The Best Personal Trainer In Wellington For Total Body Toning
- Why Most Personal Injury Cases Cost You Nothing Unless You Win
- Choosing Great Bracelets To Complete Your Personal Style
- Personal Trainer Top 3 Fun Ways To Lose Weight
- Personality Characteristics Necessary For Skilled Social Workers
- Whiplash Personal Injury Claim Facts - Two Common Misunderstandings
- Personal Space
- Personal Trainer No Sweat 500 Calorie Reduction Part 1
- Personal Accident: A Must For Everyone
- Personal Training A Complete Solution
- Personalised Bean Bags
- Income Protection Insurance - Probably The Most Important Point For You Personally