Insurances.net
insurances.net » Personal Insurance » Providence Personal Injury Lawyer Tips: Car Accident Arbitration
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Providence Personal Injury Lawyer Tips: Car Accident Arbitration

For those who have suffered a RI personal injury from a car accident

, consumers should understand their legal rights. One such common right is the right to participate in the Superior Court annexed Arbitration Program.

As a Providence personal injury lawyer whose practice includes representing RI car accident victims, I am familiar with this process. In fact, the arbitration program, although non-binding, can sometimes be extremely helpful in settling RI car accident cases before trial. This article provides a brief and general outlines of some rules for Superior Court arbitration. This is only a brief overview. In my law practice as an AV rated Providence personal injury lawyer, I offer consultations to the public discuss a specific situation in more detail for free and without any obligation. Whether you retain me or not, I want the consumer to understand their rights against the bigger, well-financed insurance companies whose primary objective is paying consumers the least as possible for their personal injury claim and taking a long time to do it.

RULE 1

All civil claims under $100,000 filed in Superior Court are subject to arbitration, with certain exceptions. The $100,000 amount does not include interest, court costs, or attorneys fees. The Superior Court may withdraw your claim from arbitration or determine the amount of your car accident claim is actually less than $100,000 and require arbitration. Providence Personal Injury Lawyer Tips: Car Accident Arbitration

RULE 2

You and the opposing party have thirty days to select an arbitrator from the Superior Courts list. If the parties cannot agree, the Superior Court will let the parties strike two names from a list of five and then selects from the remaining. Arbitrators receive a set payment per case. They must inform everyone if they have any bias, financial or personal interest, or relationship with the parties or attorneys involved.

RULE 3

At least ten days before the arbitration, you must submit a list of witnesses expected to testify, copies of documents or exhibits that will be offered as evidence, and a brief statement of the issues and your arguments. The arbitrator can compel witnesses to testify, subpoena documents, and act with the same authority as a trial judge in most matters except punishing someone for contempt. The Rhode Island Court Rules of Evidence are guidelines for arbitration, but do not apply except for matters regarding privileged communications. You may not discuss substantial case matters with the arbitrator without the other party present. If you have been notified and do not attend arbitration, the arbitrator can hear the other party and make a binding decision. You can be sanctioned for failing or refusing to participate. Hearings usually will be limited to four hours. You do not need to have a car accident attorney with you during the hearing, but only people (not companies) may represent themselves.

RULE 4

The arbitrator will file a decision with the Superior Court within ten days of arbitration. The decision does not need to include findings of fact or law unless a party requests it. The arbitrator may award more than $100,000. Hafner v. Hulslander, 640 A.2d 961 (R.I. 1994)

RULE 5

Any party that attended the arbitration and is not satisfied with the result has twenty days to file a written rejection of the arbitration to get a trial. The trial will be conducted as if the arbitration never happened. This means no statements or documents from the arbitration may be introduced at trial without each partys consent, and the arbitrator may not be called as a witness. However, you can discredit a witnesss trial testimony if it conflicts with their arbitration testimony in certain circumstances. Rivera v. Moio, 678 A.2d 1252 (R.I. 1996).

RULE 6

The parties can agree to dismiss the case before the arbitrator enters judgment. The Superior Court can add interest and court costs to the judgment.

RULE 7 & 8

These rules govern the Superior Courts actions and jurisdiction.

Again, this is a brief overview of some rules only. As a Providence personal injury lawyer, I strongly recommend that you contact us for free if you have additional questions and that you obtain a complete copy of these rules if you are participating in Superior Court arbitration without the assistance of a Providence personal injury lawyer.

by: Mike Bottaro
Can A Quickly Electric Scooter Go Quick Ample For You Personally? What You Need To Know About Your Personal Injury Claim Why Do We Need A Personal Trainer For Fitness Training Knickers To Suit Your Personality Types Of Business Owner Insurance Policies How To Have Successful No Win No Fee Personal Injury Claims? The Way To Find The Proper Zebra Prickle Sting Bikini For You Personally? What Is A Personal Injury Lawyer Personal Accident Insurance: Secure Your Future Personal Accident Insurance: A Support To Heal Your Injuries Faster Understanding Personal Injury Lawsuits The Role Of A Personal Trainer In Your Fitness Program Cuidado Con Los Crditos Personales
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.85.38.100) / Processed in 0.013907 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 34 , 4481, 967,